German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i never thought to ask here before but i think my dog has separation anxiety, this weekend we went to my parents house to visit, and we always take our dogs with us, so we decided to go out on their boat so my mom said we could leave the dogs in the bathroom we never leave the dogs in the car and it was blazing hot, anyways we didn't want to leave them the run of the house because we have a pup and he chews things up so we left them in the bathroom and we were only gone for like 2 hours. when we came back my dog had tore the bathroom door almost completely apart she tore drywall off of the bathroom wall and really did a lot of damage, and before in our own home she has broken our bathroom door in half just to get out, my reason for thinking she has separation anxiety is because she is so attached to my husband, she freaks out if he leaves shes even gone as far as getting out of the fence before and followed us into town to look for us, and we were lucky enough to have good neighbors and they drove into town to chase her back to the house so we could catch her, it seems like its getting out of control and i just need some advice should i take her to the vet, should i take her to a trainer, im not sure what to do anymore im at a loss. please help

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Re: Please help! i think my dog has separation anx

Hi there,

It does sound like your dog has severe separation anxiety. My dog had a milder case of separation anxiety so I understand how scary it is. I was really afraid he was going to hurt himself. I followed Patricia McConnell's protocol and was able to counter-condition him so that he's ok to be left home alone now.

Here is the pamphlet: http://www.dogwise.com/ItemDetails.cfm?ID=dtb667

She gives very specific instructions and you must follow them exactly. It can take anywhere from 4 weeks to several months (it took 7 weeks for my dog) but this will work if you follow it. I also once adopted out a dog (through the rescue I volunteered with) who had severe separation anxiety. She had to be left outside in a enclosed metal run because she had destroyed several crates and a few rooms in the house. Her new mom followed McConnell's protocol and after a few months was able to leave the dog home alone, uncrated, without a problem.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts