German Shepherds Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
We are going to the vet today at 4:30. I called first thing Monday and they didn't have room. I called again over lunch and no one had canceled. The tech didn't advise me to do anything to it (and I don't like putting ANYTHING in a wound that looks to be clean and flushing itself out, I know things like hydrogen peroxide can actually damage tissue). She said if he started scratching, put a T-shirt on him. Last night I was going to leave him home from agility, but changed my mind. He was so hyper because I'm not letting him wrestle with Kenya. I put a t-shirt on him and he didn't care. I didn't want bugs or gnats getting in the wound. It fit pretty good and I rolled it back and pinned it up so it wasn't hanging or covering his penis. The trainer said his range of motion was fine so he did his entire class with the shirt on.

Anytime we go near the wound he runs away and avoids us. He would not let a groomer look at it last night and when I tried to distract him with a kong stuffed with peanut butter and beef food roll, he wouldn't touch it.

·
Registered
27,338 Posts
Update?? Hope Coke is doing better!

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
They said it's a hot spot, albeit in a very strange location. She shaved the area and cleaned it. He's on two different meds (an antibiotic and a steriod) and has to wear a sock on his foot b/c of the scratching. I'm going to blame it on the humidity, or he got a bug bite and scratched it open. I know it's not a mat b/c of the location and I brush him nearly every day.

(yes the sock is striped, it was my only unpaired sock)

"hey you stink!"

I wasn't exactly sure what to do with the sock, so I wrapped it with vet wrap to keep it on and taped over that b/c the vet wrap wanted to unpeel. Luckily he hasn't chewed it off. I tried to put a sock on Kenya when she was chewing her foot and she ripped it off in 30 seconds.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I agree. I've had some I "think" may have been diet related??? And Ringer got them from not getting completely dry when he went to hydrotherapy. I had him clipped down so I could ensure he got completely dry and he never had another one.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Good to know, I just hoped I hadn't neglected his coat. He doesn't have mats or get them b/c I brush him so well. And even if he did, the shoulder would not be where he'd get a mat! He gets tangles on his ears, but I did a hack job on them last week so they are nice and short now.

It was REALLY hot and humid here last week, but yesterday it cooled off. I'm thinking since he lays in his crate all day the humidity was trapped in his coat. I've been going home to let him out and encouraging him to lay on the floor and the couch to air it out (even when I'm home he usually sleeps in one of the crates on his own).

21 - 26 of 26 Posts