German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a huge problem here, Diesel is now almost 7 months & I found him multiple times trying to mate with r 10 yr old female mix that is spayed!! All while she is barking at him totally not into what he is trying to do..
Is this normal? What do I do?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
I have a huge problem here, Diesel is now almost 7 months & I found him multiple times trying to mate with r 10 yr old female mix that is spayed!! All while she is barking at him totally not into what he is trying to do..
Is this normal? What do I do?

Any advice greatly appreciated!
Yes it's normal....at least he's going after the right species, wait until he falls in love with your couch. ;)

Just watch and redirect him when he goes for your female. He'll more than likely settle down as he gets older or when (if) you have him fixed.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, He is not fixed. Really was trying to avoid that if possible? Worried it might affect his drive for later training?

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
in time your female will lay the law down to your pup, all she`ll have to do is look at him and he`ll back away

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
I would correct him when he starts that behavior. Obviously the senior female isn't doing it so you need to step in and let him know it isn't acceptable.
I would wait if possible to neuter him, til he is structurally mature.
This is a training issue, and neutering may not stop him.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
There is also a chance that your old girl may have a bladder infection or UTI. This can sometimes cause males to have interest in spayed females.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
7 month old male dog = adolescent boy. Their minds operate about the same.

Definitely re-direct him if the female won't.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
I would correct him as soon as he even thinks about it. This is not only a disgusting habit, but it's a training problem. Dogs that do this, do not get over it and it usually gets worse by humping everything in sight. Neutering can help and neutering will not lower drive in any way - ask anyone working a bitch if she needed any balls.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
correct him when he does it. and have your older female checked for a UTI a someone else stated.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would correct him as soon as he even thinks about it. This is not only a disgusting habit, but it's a training problem. Dogs that do this, do not get over it and it usually gets worse by humping everything in sight. Neutering can help and neutering will not lower drive in any way - ask anyone working a bitch if she needed any balls.
LOL... Great Point!!:wild:

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
When my male was about that age he would mount our older (altered) male Golden Retriever. Our male dog would look at him like, "Oh no he didn't!" I would just knock him off and tell him "Quit!". It didn't last long and there hasn't been any monkeyshine with any object since.

·
Registered
682 Posts
When my male was about that age he would mount our older (altered) male Golden Retriever. Our male dog would look at him like, "Oh no he didn't!" I would just knock him off and tell him "Quit!". It didn't last long and there hasn't been any monkeyshine with any object since.
LMAO, is this like a "don't ask don't tell" issue? :D

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
LMAO, is this like a "don't ask don't tell" issue? :D
Ok, I admit that I LMAO when it first happened. The look on both of their faces...then it just got plain embarrassing!

·
Registered
44 Posts
is he really trying to "mate" or just mounting? thats the right age to try for dominance. mounting and humping is often a dominance display instead of a sexual act.....does he mount her head and side or just straight to the backside? does he start humping the air whn he smells her backside and drooling or licking? scene 1 sounds more like hes trying to outrank her,scene 2 sounds like a rush in hormones

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I would correct as soon as you see him trying.

Mine at that age tried to mate with a stuffed rabbit........ not the sharpest tool in the shed my boy is.. ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts