German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I found a pinkish bump on my dog’s front leg. It feels pretty firm, but he doesn’t seem to be bothered by it.

I called the vet and scheduled an appointment on Thursday (earliest slot), but meanwhile I’m worried to death. Can someone help me to see if this is something I should worry about? A tumor or a cyst?

Fawn Whiskers Gesture Wood Snout

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hopefully, it's a wart. My first german shepherd had a wart on her neck that looked like a tick.
Thanks for the reply! I’m not sure about wart but the surface looks pretty smooth. I assumed wart is always has ‘cauliflower’ like appearance? It’s doesn’t seem to be itchy or painful either.

·
Registered
33,943 Posts
It's probably just a cyst but I always get them checked out. Don't play with it. If it is a MCT, irritating it will release histamines. You could give your dog benadryl for the next few days until the appt.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's probably just a cyst but I always get them checked out. Don't play with it. If it is a MCT, irritating it will release histamines. You could give your dog benadryl for the next few days until the appt.
How will Benadryl help in this case?

Yeah I’ll definitely take him to vet but I just realized the appointment is not this Thursday, but the following one. Apparently it’s not a scheduling mistake but they’re just booked out. I called urgent care and they told me this is not urgent.

I’m not sure what my options are. I can’t wait for another week to get this checked out.

·
Registered
33,943 Posts
How will Benadryl help in this case?

Yeah I’ll definitely take him to vet but I just realized the appointment is not this Thursday, but the following one. Apparently it’s not a scheduling mistake but they’re just booked out. I called urgent care and they told me this is not urgent.

I’m not sure what my options are. I can’t wait for another week to get this checked out.
Because a MCT is created by histamines. So if you give an anti-histamine, it can slow the spread of cancer. if they do an aspiration of the growth, and it is a MCT, then the "injury" to will tell the body to create histamines...which you do not want. That is why my vet will only remove them and will not aspirate them. he feels aspirating them can "seed" the body. Benadryl is a common treatment for a dog with MCT's.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Don't fret. You don't know until you know! No use worrying yourself to panic. My 9.5 year old girl just had a mass on her flank that looked exactly like all the google images of MCT. Vet needle biopsied it and it came back as a plasmacytoma (BENIGN!!!!). She had another lump on her back and bump in her mouth so we opted to have all lumps and bumps removed. By the time her surgery day came around it had almost completely gone away on it's own. Vet still removed what was left and good margins just in case. Histopathology came back confirming plasmacytoma. Two vets said it needed to come off on initial look because MCT was a possibility by looks alone. But it wasn't MCT. Breathe and let your vet do what vets do...diagnose.
The other lump that both myself and vets suspected was a sebaceous type cyst turned out to be an hemangioma another benign tumor. Removed with good margins. So moral of the story is don't jump to awful conclusions.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Because a MCT is created by histamines. So if you give an anti-histamine, it can slow the spread of cancer. if they do an aspiration of the growth, and it is a MCT, then the "injury" to will tell the body to create histamines...which you do not want. That is why my vet will only remove them and will not aspirate them. he feels aspirating them can "seed" the body. Benadryl is a common treatment for a dog with MCT's.
Thanks a lot for all the helpful info! The needle aspiration now sounds scary to me.

I can’t wait til next week so I called a mobile vet who’s available on Wednesday. I doubt they’ll be able to perform the removal in house visit, so probably just going to do need aspiration. I’ll give him Benadryl just to be safer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Don't fret. You don't know until you know! No use worrying yourself to panic. My 9.5 year old girl just had a mass on her flank that looked exactly like all the google images of MCT. Vet needle biopsied it and it came back as a plasmacytoma (BENIGN!!!!). She had another lump on her back and bump in her mouth so we opted to have all lumps and bumps removed. By the time her surgery day came around it had almost completely gone away on it's own. Vet still removed what was left and good margins just in case. Histopathology came back confirming plasmacytoma. Two vets said it needed to come off on initial look because MCT was a possibility by looks alone. But it wasn't MCT. Breathe and let your vet do what vets do...diagnose.
The other lump that both myself and vets suspected was a sebaceous type cyst turned out to be an hemangioma another benign tumor. Removed with good margins. So moral of the story is don't jump to awful conclusions.
Thank you so much for the kind words.

I can’t stop googling MCT for the past 2 days. And im almost certain at this point that it’s MCT. And I feel every time I check on the bump, it looks bigger than 5mins ago.

I think my dog is also stressed out because he can sense that I’m sad and worried. I really need this vet appointment and diagnosis asap

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Now depite the fact that I checked hundreds of times with BetterVet customer service that their doctors can provide needle aspiration home visit, the doctor called this morning saying she can’t do that. :mad:

Now trying another mobile vet on Friday to see if they can do that… if not, the earliest vet appointment would be on 9/22 with my usual vet.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I understand it's hard to be patient with these things. Google isn't always our friend with these types of things. Again, I would suggest you try to take a breath.
If you haven't done so yet, book that appointment with your regular vet. It's your best option. Even if a mobile vet can do a needle aspirate if it something serious that needs removal you will still end up needing to book with your regular vet. Who is likely going to need to see it, do blood work before they do anything. You aren't helping yourself time wise by having a mobile vet do the aspirate. You may actually be slowing the process.
Your regular vet can examine the growth. Decide whether or not to needle aspirate at that same appointment. Look under the microscope right then and see if it's worrisome or not. And still send out for cytology to confirm. Or your vet may say hey I'd rather just take that off and send out for full histopathology. Lets get pre op labs done and book a surgery.
Cytology/ Pathology can take a week to get results. Most vets right now have surgical backlogs from the pandemic. If they do needle biopsy and it looks bad under the microscope they will likely get it taken care of sooner. A much speedier process in the grand scheme of things.

I just went through this with my dog. First evaluation was June 13. Surgery was August 31. Sutures removed today. Everything was benign.

Not all lumps are cancer. Actually, most are not.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I understand it's hard to be patient with these things. Google isn't always our friend with these types of things. Again, I would suggest you try to take a breath.
If you haven't done so yet, book that appointment with your regular vet. It's your best option. Even if a mobile vet can do a needle aspirate if it something serious that needs removal you will still end up needing to book with your regular vet. Who is likely going to need to see it, do blood work before they do anything. You aren't helping yourself time wise by having a mobile vet do the aspirate. You may actually be slowing the process.
Your regular vet can examine the growth. Decide whether or not to needle aspirate at that same appointment. Look under the microscope right then and see if it's worrisome or not. And still send out for cytology to confirm. Or your vet may say hey I'd rather just take that off and send out for full histopathology. Lets get pre op labs done and book a surgery.
Cytology/ Pathology can take a week to get results. Most vets right now have surgical backlogs from the pandemic. If they do needle biopsy and it looks bad under the microscope they will likely get it taken care of sooner. A much speedier process in the grand scheme of things.

I just went through this with my dog. First evaluation was June 13. Surgery was August 31. Sutures removed today. Everything was benign.

Not all lumps are cancer. Actually, most are not.
Thanks a lot for those helpful tips. I really appreciate you sharing your experience. Also happy to hear that everything went smoothly with you and your dog

Yes I still have the appointment on 9/22 with my regular vet, never canceled it. If the mobile vet can perform FNA on Friday I'm going to take that as well, whatever it helps to get the cytology result a bit sooner. If the result come back earlier than next Thursday, I can even take it to my regular vet for a second opinion.

I just feel I need professionals to take a look at this bump for my own mental health purpose... I've been forcing myself to be more optimistic about this but still can't stop thinking about worst case scenario. Like it's 4:50 am and I'm still wide awake, reading papers on MCT 😂

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
UPDATE: so 2 mobile vets came over this morning for FNA, but unfortunately my dog was too uncooperative and they couldn’t do anything. They also mentioned possibility of histiocytoma, but considering my dogs age, it’s more likely a mast cell tumor.

Later that night I was checking on the bump, and it just suddenly bursted, with some yellowish oozing discharge. There was no blood, and now the bump feels a bit softer and flatter. But the size didn’t change much.

it seems ‘cottage cheese like’ discharge is pretty common for cyst? I don’t know if mast cell tumor does that too. But all I can do is just sit tight and see my regular vet on Thursday

·
Registered
741 Posts
One of my bitches had one removed, as it was reoccurring and the size of an old English penny. The vet did it when she went in for her hip xrays. Simple procedure but you have to make sure that all of the sack is removed.

Generally, they are small and often do not come back.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts