German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Sunday we realized our almost two year old girl was urinating when she was sleeping (a big amount) this was happening almost anytime she was sleeping so I took her to the animal hospital (couldn’t get an appointment at my vet) they did tests to determine if she had a UTI and sent us home with medication. Turns out, no UTI and continuing having accidents. We took her to our vet on Wednesday where they took blood. All her blood levels came back normal (kidneys were a little high, but still in normal range). The doctor wants us to finish the medicine and bring a urine sample after they are finished. She thinks it might be urinary incontinence, but has some concerns on how fast this has all happened. It is getting to the point where now everyday, multiple times a day she is having accidents when laying down or sleeping. (And it even leaked out tonight onto the floor) She is embarrassed and seems confused this is happening :( other than the accidents she shows no signs of being in any distress. It is just breaking our hearts to see this happen. She did get spayed when she was about seven months but have had no issues since then. The vet seems confident we can figure this out, but it just seems so strange all of a sudden for an almost two year old healthy dog!!! Any insight would be helpful.. thanks!!! I have attached a picture of a small amount (the big accidents were triple this amount- this was after she was napping on the couch

Attachments

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Here's a suggestion, I don't know how helpful it is...

The most common form of urinary incontinence happens when the dog is deeply relaxed, such as when they are sleeping. Urine leaks out when the pressure within the bladder exceeds the resting tone of the valve that polices the bladder. This can happen in spayed females if their estrogen levels fall since this plays a part in keeping that valve tight and toned.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Yeah I remember reading about spay incontinence being a thing, and it usually happens a few years after the spay.

I used reusable diapers with a regular women's pantiliner on Willow when she was in heat, and they were fine--she got used to them pretty quickly and it was only a minor inconvenience for me to have to add it to my routine with her. And for your dog you'd probably only need to put them on when she's sleeping.

I also read that spay incontinence can be treated with medication?

·
Registered
30,961 Posts
One of our Boxers did this. Spay incontinence. She was given a medicine that helped. I don't know why we eventually took her off of it but the incontinence never returned.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts