German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I purchased a GSD recently and we love him very much. When I purchased him, I was under the assumption by the breeder that the dog was ready to be taken to a new home. Now I'm reading alot about how this is horrible for the dog and I am not happy about this! its not practically possible to return the puppy back to its litter but I did speak to a vet who said that if he is eating, sleeping and pooping fine then it should be OK, and of course avoid contact with other dogs and anyone else outside the immediate family. Is there anything I should know or look for in the interim? I would appreciate an email or a phone number I can call to speak to someone knowledgeable, for the sake of the pup, I'm willing to do what it takes.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I ended up in a similar situation. My boy was 5 weeks old when we brought him home.
For feeding, he was already eating mushy dog food, and mom had stopped nursing all her pups. We fed him a high quality puppy food for large breeds and added puppy milk replacement to soften it up. He ate 3-5 small meals every day.
Please understand at 5 weeks they have NO bladder control. I literally took him out to potty every 30 minutes or so. After eating, after playing, after waking up from the umpteenth nap. My first 3 weeks with my puppy was frequent trips outside and little to no sleep. Like a newborn baby.
He slept a lot. So much, I worried. He played a bit, but mostly slept. We made his crate very cozy and put a blanket over it to create a den. He whined a little, but adjusted quickly. I let him nap with me often. Nighttime was spent in the kennel.
Keep your pup away from other dogs, until vaccinated, and out of unfamiliar places. No pet stores, parks, other yards, etc. Home is where it's at for the moment.
I suggest a vet visit immediately. Have them deworm, vaccinate, and give a thorough check up. If they feel your pup is in food health, keep it fed and rested, and they should be just fine.
Good luck. It's a stressful few week, but it can be done, be patient...

·
Registered
4,623 Posts
In your opening description you covered most things. If he's eating, sleeping, and pooping good, he's good. That being said, I'd make sure the calories he's getting are appropriate for him, and make sure he's getting the balanced nutrition he needs. The puppy milk replacement, is good for wetting his food, as is goats milk if you have access. Back in my day, we used powdered cow's milk to wet young puppy food, and all those puppies turned out healthy too! But...I'll let breeders with more current info tell you their experience! So this is really just a bump.

Good Luck with that puppy!

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
My latest GSD was split from the litter at 6 weeks. Almost kept me from getting him..That being said, so far he is great. He just turned one year old on the 4th. The breeder has many of his pups in working situations. He strongly advised I hand feed him for quite some time..This helped us bond and then I used the time to start using marker/shaping training with him. I did this for several months. Helps I am retired. I played a lot of prey type games sitting on the floor with him. This allowed him to learn what he was to play with and bite. He has been the least nippy of all my working breed pups. He is super social and ignores the neighbor dogs on the other side of the privacy fence better than my others have. We are starting to have some "testing". Like if things don't go his way he gets vocal and will bump me with his mouth open..Not really much different than my other male GSDs when they hit the hormones coming in teenage brat stage. It is not allowed and he insists in doing so, I quickly just leave the room used as his "crate" and my art room. Picking my fights. I find that if the dog's genetics are decent, and you learn all you can about raising any pup, things will work out. Leerburg.com is a super place to learn about redirecting biting, being a pack leader, socializing your pup. Be the world to your pup. All good things come through you. Gunny did not get out to training or walks until he was around 6 months as we had a huge out break of Parvo around here. Best of luck with your little one. I think of singleton pups I have known as adult dogs. The out come of their dog/people skills has been a combo of genetics and training.

·
Registered
6,104 Posts
He should be around other safe dogs that are vaccinated and healthy to learn to get along with dogs. A friend found an abandoned puppy about that age who did not have littermates. Her dog was always dog aggressive. I can’t mention the breed, which could have something to do with it, but it was also completely unsocialized.

·
Registered
6,709 Posts
Hello everyone,

I purchased a GSD recently and we love him very much. When I purchased him, I was under the assumption by the breeder that the dog was ready to be taken to a new home. Now I'm reading alot about how this is horrible for the dog and I am not happy about this! its not practically possible to return the puppy back to its litter but I did speak to a vet who said that if he is eating, sleeping and pooping fine then it should be OK, and of course avoid contact with other dogs and anyone else outside the immediate family. Is there anything I should know or look for in the interim? I would appreciate an email or a phone number I can call to speak to someone knowledgeable, for the sake of the pup, I'm willing to do what it takes.

Small frequent meals and plenty of attention/affection. Make sure that his diet stays balance and you need to wipe down his privates after he relieves himself to keep any risk of bacterial infection low. Avoid the impulse to drag him all over with you. Sleep is important as well. Let him sleep as much as he likes.

House training absolutely can start now, with you shaping a behavior. Right after eating, when he first wakes up and after a few minutes of play I run them outside and stay there until they go, then praise and cuddles.

Now is also a good time to work on exposure to handling, different surfaces and textures. You can get puppy playing on a tarp or a garbage bag, standing and walking on slippery surfaces and cold surfaces. Play with ears, check teeth, handle feet. Let him mouth on and play with different things, safe things. Exposure to different noises and sounds. Don't scare him, just build confidence and promote curiosity.

Puppies this young should still be in a pack environment, with at least littermates and mom. If you have access to stable, healthy dogs they are great for teaching him to be a dog.

You cannot spoil a puppy by giving it affection and love, anymore then you can a child so go nuts. You can only spoil them by not creating boundaries.

Shadow has a facebook page that you can reach me through. Shadows Journey, picture of German Shepherd. Some general information there that you may find helpful (plus pics of my girl, lol.)
@carmspack, here on the forum would be my go to for nutritional advice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts