German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
These are all showlines. You can tell by the color. TBH I don't know anything about showlines. Perhaps go meet the dog.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.

I was looking more for info on the actual show lines and where the dogs are coming from.

Thank you for your response though!

·
Registered
329 Posts
I’ve noticed a lot of people here have working line dogs. As do I. I’m sure there are members that can help you. Hopefully they will chime in. Just stating an observation. Not trying to encourage or discourage either way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
I looked back into the seventh generation, and this dog is derived from some strong lines and some of the weaker tempered show lines. The strong emphasis on sire sire of box head does not usually come from the stronger working show lines although they fit people’s “ likes”.

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
Btw, I wanted to edit the double sire wording, but I don’t know how to edit this new format....anyway I won’t be posting much but wanted folks to know I realized the double sire in above post is incorrect

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I can't be of much help, but want to say this. The Fitchenschlag lines are extremely popular right now, and Remo IS a very striking dog. However, I know nothing about the working ability of his lines.

Show lines are bred to show, not work, and many of them aren't capable of working. They just don't have the temperament for it. However, this dog does have a few of the better lines (Ursus and his descendants, in particular.) It's best to see the dog in person so you can evaluate his character.

The other thing is the show lines are very, very intensely inbred, and have been for many generations. If I had a nickel for every time I've heard of a well-know show line suddenly dropping dead before 10 years of age, I'd have quite a pile of cash! Click on the 7 generation linebreeding to get a look at what I'm talking about.

I have a female that's an Ursus grand-daughter. She's been a very nice dog, and will soon be 13 years old, but she was a total outcross. I did put a BH on her, but was told she didn't have the necessary temperament for schutzhund.

Every dog is different. It's hard to know from a pedigree just what you are going to get. It also depends a lot on what you want to do with the dog. What's his temperament like?

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Cliff, if you want to change your post within the window allowed for editing, the 'edit' button is just to the right of your sig picture.

Nice to see you, and happy holidays!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts