German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So a few months back, I hopped on board to pine for Dynamo, whom I dearly miss. She was a gorgeous (possibly) working line gsd I picked up from the pound, and what a lucky 15 years that was.
Now I have Sonic, who looks like a BC but is mostly 'streetdog' from the Dominican Republic. He's completely awesome, but a whole new adventure. Had no clue how to play with a human, had no clue how to fetch or tug, did not know what a frisbee was, had no clue what positive reinforcement training was, had no clue how to conduct himself on a leash--I think he suffered some serious culture shock, but is settling nicely now.
So I'm feeling ever so slightly like a fish out of water here, now, since all my gsd's are in the past. But I really love being here, so, as I said in the title, 'please don't hate me because I'm BC':wink2:
Here's a pic, 'who's my daddy' guesses welcome.
He reminds me so much of Dynamo, it's spooky. I feel like she's right there whispering in his ear (ssspt, here's how you handle them, make sure you get to lick the bottom of that icecream cone)

And a link to a pic of Dynamo (it's too big to post),
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v227/kaslkaos/dynamolog1.jpg

·
Banned
7,657 Posts
Aww he was handsome ... sorry for your loss. :(
And I know there are lost of "Herder" dog owners on here. I almost kept one myself (Foster) situation. I'd not been a fan of them myself because everyone I had every met had been out of control and obnoxious! :mad:

Sign .... and is often the case ... it was not about the "Breed" it was about the lazy incompetent owners. "My" foster Herder Dog was not like that! She was "freaking brilliant!" And of course learned quickly!

We "cried" when she got adopted out ... we had just started to discussing that maybe ....

She went to a 13 year old and walked up and down the block easily by his side! When they went on a "Test" walk. She was a BYB dog and had never been out of the yard let alone on a leash for four years ... I do good work. :)

At any rate as they say Welcome Aboard ... no that's not right so .. yeah "Welcome to Still be here!" :)

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Chip, thanks for the 're-welcome'.

There is a different culture of training in some circles, with different attitudes on how a dog should behave. Lets just say I'm more comfortable on this forum than others. I like to look at all sides of the coin (and that means more than two).

Breed matters, Sonic is very much a 'softer' dog than Dynamo, but then he is ten times more impulsive in prey drive (which right now is mostly focused on real prey with very little directed to toys-that's probably due to lack of puppy training) so training him is quite an adventure, a very delicate process, but we are getting there.

And in some ways, he so similar. Not only I, but my husband, and even a trainer (who trained Dynamo 14 years ago) keep calling him Dynamo. It's like he keeps a piece of her inside him. I've had other dogs, but this is the first dog that seriously reminds me of a previous dog.

Good job on your foster. I really admire folks who do the foster work--it must be the hardest thing.

·
Registered
5,814 Posts
I love all dogs. Mystery mixes are a personal favorite. lol! I got my own shelter/mix after my GSD, Annie passed. Natty Boh is a hound mix - beagle/JRT (best guess.) Two years later, I got Shelby, GSD or high content GSD mix. Anybody's guess.

I haven't been kicked off yet. I believe you and I are safe here. HA!

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
German Shepherds are a herding breed, created to herd sheep and to protect the shepherd and the sheep.

Welcome again.

Reactions: kaslkaos

·
Banned
7,657 Posts
German Shepherds are a herding breed, created to herd sheep and to protect the shepherd and the sheep.

Welcome again.
Well ... yes ... no research on my part ... that slipped in under the radar also! :)

But I never saw "Roy Rogers" GSD Bullet, herding sheep so how would I have know.?? :p

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
Well ... yes ... no research on my part ... that slipped in under the radar also! :)

But I never saw "Roy Rogers" GSD Bullet, herding sheep so how would I have know.?? :p
Maybe the word "shepherd" in the name of the breed might have been a tip off?:surprise:

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the 're:welcome', all.
Another pic, for @Jax08
@Chai he grew that bushy tail here in Canada. He had a ratty thin tail (I think they must have groomed out matts) when he arrived in Canada
@MineAreWorkingline yep, sheepdogs, shepherds, all part of the same tree. Spooky similarities with my previous (maybe working line gsd) + some notable differences
@Wolfydog Sonic is more than enough dog for me, so I'll just admire shepherds from afar for now.

Thanks again, I guess you are all stuck with me then.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
He looks like a handful! Love those herding breeds :wub:
Um, yah. Like I said, more than enough dog for me. I 'thought' I was downsizing. I loved the challenge of owning Dynamo, and am dang right proud of her, for all that was accomplished together, but I was wanting a little less dog this time around, but nope, Sonic is.... well named for starters. It's amazing how much pictures talk...

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Your dog is either very attractive, very photogenic, or both.
Sonic thought it would be too cheeky to title this post, Please Don't Hate Me Because I,m Beautiful....
But thanks you for generous cmpliments.
Me, I still can't believe this is a street bred dog-natural selection.

PS. Photo hint: take photos in natural light at or below the subject/dogs eye level, having enticing squirrels just out of sight, even better. :wink2:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts