German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am new to home cooking. I have done a lot of research and designed this recipe myself. I would like any info if you think it works as a home cooked recipe or not, specifically relating to the right amount of vitamins and minerals, protein, etc, for a puppy (10 week old).

5.5 Pounds grilled muscle meat (variably - chicken, turkey or beef)
1 can sardines without the oil
2 hard-boiled eggs (no shell)
5 tablespoons dairy (cheese, cottage cheese or yogurt)
1 cup chopped fruit
1 cup steamed veggies
2 powered ground egg shells

Then I feed approx 5% of the puppies body weight per day. That means for a 20 pound pup this whole batch lasts about 7 days.

I read to get the phosphorus/calcium ratio correct puppies should have 1,000-2,000 mg of calcium per pound of meat. Since I have some dairy products and sardine bones in the recipe I only added 4,000 mg calcium (which is 2 ground egg shells).

What do you think???

RH

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Hi RH.

My belief is that when home cooking or feeding raw dogs need certain nutrients and that you must learn what exactly those nutrients are, then learn what nutrients are in the foods you chose to feed, compare the 2 and supplement the difference. This becomes even more tricky when feeding a puppy as their nutrient requirements are quite different from adults and are constantly changing as they grow.

So for me your recipe does not work as it is based on percents of body weight and the fact that ingredients are not interchangeable, as in your protein source, you cannot simply change from chicken to beef and not redo and look at the diet as a whole. 1 cup fruit- what fruit? They all offer different nutrients.

For me to look at ingredients and nutrients I made a spreadsheet that lists the requirements and then I looked up the ingredients on the usda database to see how what I was feeding compared to what they needed.

Here a post I wrote that may give you more details:

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/b-r-f-raw-feeding/85948-how-i-create-balance-homemade-diet.html

1 - 2 of 2 Posts