German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
I'm an amateur so take it for what that is worth.
Your dog seems more focused on the object than you. Is that what you are wanting from your dog?

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
amateur here as well, not exactly sure what i want just flying blind in the back yard but i think my idea is to build focus with the toy then fade it away at some point in the future and the dog by then has imprinted the motion and keeps doing it - or not.

thanks for comment.

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
Did you start the work with food? Or just toy?

He has very nice attention, but is a but over stimulated on the toy. Hence the jumping and barking.

If you want to only use the toy, make sure to reward when " four are on the floor" I don't know how advanced he is, but in the beginning, the reward should come frequently. I saw a couple if places that toy should have dropped right into his mouth, when he was focused and heeling correctly. If you don't reward exactly what you want, when you want it, he will build frustration and start the talking and leaping.

Food may be easier to teach focus without the excitedness the toy brings.

All in all. Nice dog!! Handsome and animated!! Looks like you were having a good time together!!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks, i will try reward correct position more frequently. i am actually wondering about his mental state with the toy, if you could see his eyes from my position, he actually looks demon possessed in the eyes for his toy. i did an experiment and he will actually sleep with the toy in his mouth and make get kinda funny with it.

my decoy wants to quit bite-work with him and train him as a narc dog and sell him for big bucks and take a cut - never happen but i would like to do the narc training just for fun.

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
Be careful with obsession on the toy. What you really should be aiming for is a desire to interact with you, not possess the toy. It's a subtle difference, but can make training a lot easier.

Try and get him to understand that the fun from the toy comes FROM you. And that " dead" toys are to be ignored. You may want to step back a bit and work on that.

At least for me, I want my dog getting the toy and then driving back into me asking for play. That's the true reward. A dog that takes the toy and runs with it will be harder to focus, because their desire is not to keep the game and rewards going, but just to get the toy.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Be careful with obsession on the toy. What you really should be aiming for is a desire to interact with you, not possess the toy. It's a subtle difference, but can make training a lot easier.

Try and get him to understand that the fun from the toy comes FROM you. And that " dead" toys are to be ignored. You may want to step back a bit and work on that.

At least for me, I want my dog getting the toy and then driving back into me asking for play. That's the true reward. A dog that takes the toy and runs with it will be harder to focus, because their desire is not to keep the game and rewards going, but just to get the toy.

This guy knows what he's talking about! We just did a training weekend with a TOP dog trainer...police k9, sch/ipo, narc, cadaver, he is a former president of United Sch CLubs of America, and arguably one of the best helpers in the country, possibly world, I could go on, but my point is, he knows dogs...and he basically said this exact same thing. The dog should be interested in you, pushing the toy back into you, a dead toy is no fun, so he brings it to you to be animated again and interact WITH you. Where are you located (state?). Good mentors can be few and far between unfortunately.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
My limited experience advice? Get a ball on a string, don't throw the ball to him, a ball leaving your hand is taking the interaction of tugging, WITH you, away from you. Reward should be playing tug with you.

When you are doing "heel" or "focus" work (not sure what command you use, I use "foos" with my dog). Hide the ball behind your back on your right side, reward only for eye contact and focus on YOU. I can't completely tell, but it looks like he is "luring" ie just following the ball and not you. I would have him on a leash on your left side, ball in right hand (hidden), give the focus command, immediately reward for focus....do this until he knows focus command=eye contact (I am only assuming he doesn't know because I can't tell in the video if he is looking at you or the ball). Then add a foot step in, keeping focus on your eyes, and reward...keep adding steps in until you get the heeling + focus. hth

And toy drive is WONDERFUL, just don't want it to be to the point where the ball is more important than the ball+you lol.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts

This is interesting because Zeeva will pick up her tug/fetch toy and throw it, shake it, throw it and catch it, kick it...I let her. Is that wrong???

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
oops, looks like you already have ball on string, nevermind...should have watched the whole video before posting lol.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
This is interesting because Zeeva will pick up her tug/fetch toy and throw it, shake it, throw it and catch it, kick it...I let her. Is that wrong???
Depends, are you doing sports with her? If so, what sports? Probably nothing to worry about. My dog doesn't get tennis balls right now because we are working on a better grip in his molars and tennis balls create the habit of them holding their grip in the front of their mouth. He also ONLY gets his tug when we are training, it's different than his other toys, it's "special" lol. But, I have to work on building his toy-drive a bit, so my training is different, every dog requires a little different type of training depending on the dogs temperament/drives.

Some of the higher drive dogs I train with don't need to have toys limited in the house, and play with their toys like your girl, they are still in the same sport as mine, but training differently.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Depends, are you doing sports with her? If so, what sports? Probably nothing to worry about. My dog doesn't get tennis balls right now because we are working on a better grip in his molars and tennis balls create the habit of them holding their grip in the front of their mouth. He also ONLY gets his tug when we are training, it's different than his other toys, it's "special" lol. But, I have to work on building his toy-drive a bit, so my training is different, every dog requires a little different type of training depending on the dogs temperament/drives.

Some of the higher drive dogs I train with don't need to have toys limited in the house, and play with their toys like your girl, they are still in the same sport as mine, but training differently.
We don't do any sport. She's just a pet doggie c:

I never thought about grip. Is it wrong to play tug with a pup that grips the tug with front teeth? Will the teeth get loose/break? Yikes! :c

X11 I don't mean to steal your thread :c.

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
If she is gonna be a pet only, then I would not worry about it too much. Dogs should be able to entertain themselves. But when working I want the reward to be interaction with me. I want the dog to want to work FOR ME and to keep asking me for more. It makes training a lot easier.

If they are working for the toy only, then why keep working once they get said toy?

·
Registered
33 Posts
What the video shows is ball drive, which is very nice. "Focus", to me, means focusing on the handler, not staring at a ball or being led around with food. You have a nice foundation to start from, the next step is to move the ball out of sight and swing both arms naturally at your side.
Nice, energetic, dog who appears to enjoy working!

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for tips all, definately making it a plan to fade the ball from the picture in small increments. dog is getting some rest - he been a busy boy.

cheers

1 - 15 of 15 Posts