German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gunner is 3 years old and weighs 85lbs. I get a lot of comments from people that he is "too skinny" some think he's huge probably since he's tall for s shepherd but not sure his exact height.

I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great looking dog! Nice face. He’s not too skinny.

Thanks @ausdland I appreciate that, I don't think he's too skinny either but sometime when people mention it, it makes me wonder....I know he's in the standard as far as weight and he eats 4 cups of food a day but he's also very active so that may be why he stays fit.

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
I downloaded your photo, cropped it and straightened it so we could see it better.

Is he neutered? Flat withers with a slight dip behind his withers. OK topline, good placement of a croup that should be longer. Good angulation front and rear so he looks balanced. I would guess he is a bit restricted in his reach, but balance tends to compensate so a dog will move well enough. Good feet and pasterns. His weight looks good. He does look younger than three which is why I asked if he is neutered. Very nice head.

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I downloaded your photo, cropped it and straightened it so we could see it better.

Is he neutered? Flat withers with a slight dip behind his withers. OK topline, good placement of a croup that should be longer. Good angulation front and rear so he looks balanced. I would guess he is a bit restricted in his reach, but balance tends to compensate so a dog will move well enough. Good feet and pasterns. His weight looks good. He does look younger than three which is why I asked if he is neutered. Very nice head.

Thank you very much for taking your time to respond. Yes he is neutered unfortunately. We neutered him at 5 months at the vets request. This was before I knew any better, now I wish I would have at least waited until he was older if at all.....:frown2:

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
He's a handsome boy! I think folks are so used to seeing overweight dogs (and cats, for that matter) that when they see them at a healthy weight, they think they're too skinny.

My doberman put on a little pudge in her older years, but when she was young, I'd sometimes have well-meaning people tell me she needed to put on weight, even though she was perfectly fit and healthy.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I get comments from pet owners that my girl is too skinny all the time. And then I get comments from vets and sport/working dog owners that say she's in incredible shape. I wouldn't really worry about it. Athleticism and what that looks like in dogs isn't well understood by most pet owners.

Reactions: Gunnertheterrorist

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I get comments from pet owners that my girl is too skinny all the time. And then I get comments from vets and sport/working dog owners that say she's in incredible shape. I wouldn't really worry about it. Athleticism and what that looks like in dogs isn't well understood by most pet owners.

This is exactly what happens to me, I notice that the people who say he looks good and fit are mostly German Shepherd people or his vet.

·
Registered
132 Posts
skinny?

Naw your dog is very fine for theWorking German Shepherd line-don’t worry. When people ask then just explain to them that there are 5 types of shepherds today-from the show dog that most are used to seeing and the working line dogs-think long distant Olympic runners.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts