German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Millie is 5.5 months. We do this sometimes in the mornings because she's full of energy. Please excuse my hair, I just woke up haha.

This is part of heel we learned at her puppy class. However, we are no longer taking that class and started a new obedience class that doesn't teach the heel. However I think she has a beautiful heel!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Our heelwork at 6.5 months. I have no idea what I'm doing lol. All this was learned mostly from Youtube. For those who are experienced with IGP, pointers on how to improve are welcome!

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I would hold the food in your left hand even with the outseam of your pants and teach her to push into your hand more for the food. I would provide a higher rate of reinforcement and take fewer stops before stopping and getting an automatic sit. I would work on quarter pivots. Don’t ever reinforce incorrect position at heel. Overall, not bad. Have you thought about how you are going to fade the food lure. People think that by holding the food at their chest they are luring the dog to look at them which is somewhat true. By holding the food by your outseam and teaching the dog to push into your hand, you can get a better presentation. I would break things down into smaller steps. Are you planning to eventually switch to a toy? Training focused heeling is probably one of the most difficult behaviors to train correctly.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys! I think her pivots were bad because my right handed luring is so off. She was originally taught with a left hand lure at my hip. We only recently switched to the right a few days ago. I can already tell from the video that luring at the chest is not working well and my posture is also slouched so that doesn't help. 😅

I think my plan will be to lure with food with right hand at the left hip --> transition to ball/tug under left armpit once she has enough drive. Also work in pivoting during about turns!

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
IMO, I would lure/reward with food with the left hand as I described earlier. I think using your right hand will lead to wrapping and rear end position problems. I would also always use a medium prong when heeling at this point . Keep the ring directly under her neck and whenever she as much as starts to move her eyes away or moves her head, pop upward repeatedly and rapidly until she looks back at you and stop and reward. Hold the leash in your right hand. The pops don't need to be severe but they shouldn't little nagging pops either. You are teaching her a service/flip finish. I would work that separately from heeling for know and always on leash. With her in front of you and food in your left hand by the outseam of your pants, call her to heel while providing opposition with the leash by pulling it up and to the right creating opposition reflex and helping her get into the correct position. If she is not in the correct position after she flips, pop upward in quick repetitions again until she is correct and then reward. This is just one way that I have seen produce very good results. Like all training, it requires a skill set with correct timing, correct placement of the food, rate of reinforcement, etc. to get the best results. Every time you let her get away with moving her eyes or head away, you are training against yourself. Once you get proficiency with those things, you can decide if you are going to move to a toy, where to position the toy and how to fade it.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I watched again. be sure you are marking and reward correct positions. For example, you are marking and reward a lot of mispositioned automatic sits and call tom static heel from in front. Also think about how you want to do your about turns. The style of about turn you are doing on the video needs to be a very tight about turn. You are making a u turn and every time you train it, you are strengthening incorrect behavior. As mentioned, it depends on how precise you want to be or if you just want to pass the BH.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts