German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Odham is 7 months. I have shared his issues here more than once. Today he had a terrible diarrhea, weird diarrhea kind of pinkish (I am also pretty sure that a piece of his sheet was there, small piece though and different story).

Odham has all his shots. More than he should probably.

We take care of deworming (even the heart worm) according to schedule.

He ate ProPlan and then switched to Diamond Naturals LBP, not long ago.

As I have mentioned before, getting a firm stool from him has never been possible. We do Fortiflora and many others.... Rice and chicken would help us out a bit, but thats it.

Today after the explosive random diarrheas we got, we finally took the decision of attending a different vet. I used to take pride in the vet clinic we took him because it was **** expensive. We went to a more affordable vet today, in a far neighborhood. And explained the vet he had parvo at 4 months, even with his shots, he has had blood tests before (always on the low end, but never serious), one of the blood tests was done the day he got admitted with parvo because they thought it was ehrlichiosis, but since he turned positive for parvo, he got on that. He has never been right of his digestion, like never, almost every month we end up at the vet for an issue regarding diarrhea or at least soft stools. EVERY SINGLE time the people at his regular vet clinic would say it was our fault, because they hated Diamond Naturals or because they wanted us to switch to Royal Canin Gastro, or because we were lame owners for giving him rice with his meal or a small piece of natural chicken every once in a while (or an egg)....

But every time he would get a positive for parasites, each one of them, coccidia, giardia, etc....

This time, today, after his really terrible diarrheas of this morning we went to a different vet. They are also a clinic. The woman took his sample of blood, and ran a test. And checked him up (also his history), and then she said "he has ehrlichiosis". I totally freaked out. My pup is on NexGard (the only few days he missed his pill was when he was on Giardicox from his other clinic like a month ago, he was on really strong dewormers so we skipped a few days). Other than that we take care of the backyard and there are no ticks there, we check his fingers three times a week and many other things. But before the parvo he did got two ticks, that were removed by the vet and all....

This new vet, she says he could have even gotten ehrlichiosis from his mother, or from the ticks he got before the parvo, or through the days we skipped the NexGard.... She says it could be the cause for all his other diseases. The parvo, the parasites, amoebiasis, everything, even his low weight (which is not that low 70lb but looks thin)... But he just developed symptoms (yet in the past it made him vulnerable). Which I obviously find odd, but then again, makes everything else have some sense. I meant, the parvo never made sense, we were always really protective people regarding even our shoes back then... and there has never been a good stool.... I do not know....
But he got medication for a month....

Any thoughts? Anyone with a dog that has had ehrlichiosis?

·
Registered
5,126 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I commend you for getting a second opinion and from your post, I think the diagnosis is correct. Though I have no experience with ehrlichiosis, these older threads are from members whose dogs have the disease.

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/111131-ehrlichiosis.html

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/447345-help-needed-ehrlichiosis.html

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/439977-ehrlichiosis.html

Thank you. I will read them. At this point I am quite scared about it (and feel with the worst luck).

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
My limited knowledge says antibiotics can cute this if caught early as in stage one. In stage two, antibiotics only suppress the infection as it will continue to show up on blood work though the dog exhibits no symptoms. Went through this with my Airedale. Was discovered on routine bloodwork and lived symptom free till she 14.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My limited knowledge says antibiotics can cute this if caught early as in stage one. In stage two, antibiotics only suppress the infection as it will continue to show up on blood work though the dog exhibits no symptoms. Went through this with my Airedale. Was discovered on routine bloodwork and lived symptom free till she 14.

I just never thought it was possible to have such disease.

I hope it can be cured. The new vet said we were on time for it. But I will ask more tomorrow.

He is getting three pills per day through a month.

·
Registered
414 Posts
One of my fosters, who we later adopted, tested positive for erhrlichia. He got a month's worth of doxycycline. He still tests positive, but 4 years later he still has no symptoms.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I just never thought it was possible to have such disease.

I hope it can be cured. The new vet said we were on time for it. But I will ask more tomorrow.

He is getting three pills per day through a month.

Think malaria. Once someone has it, it can always be found in blood work even though there aren't any symptoms. Case in point, my father contracted malaria on 1951 in Korea. In 2008 at age 80, he had some comprehensive blood work and it showed up.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Think malaria. Once someone has it, it can always be found in blood work even though there aren't any symptoms. Case in point, my father contracted malaria on 1951 in Korea. In 2008 at age 80, he had some comprehensive blood work and it showed up.

But, does this mean that two or three years from now if a tick bites him he can pass the disease?

·
Registered
863 Posts
Sorry for going a little off topic, but here's my 2 cents....it pays to get a 2nd, or a 3rd opinion. With my previous dog, without a 2nd opinion, we wouldn't have figured out he had cancer. Might have been able to catch it sooner and extend his life longer if I didn't wait to go get a 2nd opinion. With the current pup, without a 2nd opinion, I would've spent thousands of dollars on surgery to open him up because he ate something (2 feet of a thick paracord leash) that wouldn't have passed through. Instead I spent a couple hundred dollars to induce vomiting to get it all out of his stomach. (My vet told me to "wait and see." The emergency hospital told me to get in there as fast as possible. Glad I listened to my gut and called the emergency hospital.)

So, those of you who don't know what to do, don't be afraid to go get that 2nd opinion if your vet isn't figuring out how to fix the problem. Some vets may think they're know-it-alls, but they're really not.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
But, does this mean that two or three years from now if a tick bites him he can pass the disease?
I never thought it through that far, but I would say yes. Keep in mind I am far from an expert but, if I continue the comparison to malaria, a person who has had malaria Nan never donate blood.

The important thing is, your pup will be fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts