German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 11 week GSD isn't the best with other dogs. She doesn't run or hide in fear but as soon as she gets close to one she submits and gets on her back. She won't play with them. My inlaws have 2 mutts that weigh 15 pounds and are 9 months old that growl at her and she doesn't do anything just rolls over but her tail keeps wagging. Is this normal or no?

But when I take her to my parents
House with a 7 year old sheltie my pup jumps and tackles the sheltie and the sheltie just sits there and takes it so I'm very confused. Can anyone please help?

·
Registered
156 Posts
shepherds can be a little weird about that stuff, and many go through fear stages. Some dogs are good for your pup to socialize with, and other ones not so much.

the difficult part is deciding which ones you want to let your GSD socialize with. I would avoid the ones that growl or don't play friendly. There is nothing wrong with the puppy submitting, shes a puppy and letting the other dogs know that she is. What you want to avoid is having her around a dog that does not tolerate puppies, getting bit by another dog can have long term consequences for their mental state.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Would you be as concerned if you had a lab puppy and she submitted or is it the fact that you have a GSP and she's doing it? If that's the case then I understand because I felt that way for a bit. It's not that hard to figure out what dogs you can socialize your pup with and the ones you can not. It just takes time and repetition. You will also have to remember that as your pup grows she will still be a pup and you will be patient. You will also learn the difference between playful yelps and scared yelps from your pup so use that as a guide when introducing her to new dogs you trust.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Sounds to me like you have a respectful pup who doesnt know how to play with older dogs yet. She knows she's a puppy, she submits to older dogs, its totally fine. Get her around some other puppies, or dogs that do really well with puppies so you can give her some play time. Nothing to be worried about though :) I have a 6 month old who has a great time playing with other dogs, but he still submits sometimes to older more alpha dogs. He's just trying to appear non threatening :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I took her to another friends house who has too rottweilers who are great with puppies (he they has ton of experience with them) and she didn't play at all she snarled and barked at them and got defensive. They didn't bark at her just sniffed her wagged tails and wanted to play. I'm so confused about my pup. She's met about 6 different types of dogs and is different with each one

·
Registered
104 Posts
I don't think you are getting it. You are expecting way to much from your puppy and forgetting the fact that she is a PUPPY. Just because your pup gets along with one dog doesn't mean she is going to get along with another. You need to exercise some patience and continue socializing her. It will come but it will take some time. My pup is 4 months old now and is just starting to get used to other dogs where he doesn't bark up a storm. Just keep socializing with other animals and people.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts