German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
From what I've read, GSD playing tends to be on the "rough" side... or more intense?

Here's the background. My daughter's BF has a Full grown Boxer... he's a BIG boy, wonderful temperment, friendly, and obedient. Ever since Tyde was first brought home, they've played. When Tyde was wee little, Boomer was very easy with him.

They don't play daily, or even weekly for that matter... I think he's had about 6 - 7 meetings with him since we've brought him home. (They also have another Boxer, Olive, who is younger, smaller who has been more stand-offish with Tyde, more of a "don't mess with me" behavior towards him). Tyde and Boomer have always played well... please keep in mind, I haven't witnessed any of this, just my daughter/bf. Chasing, romping, etc.

The other day they took Tyde to visit... my daughter said "Tyde was being a naughty butthead!" Her BF said "I think Boomer just wasn't in the mood to play and Tyde was." She said he kept jumping up on Boomer, nipping at him, pestering him, and Boomer did the "growl/bark/air bite" to get him off him a couple of times. They did say Olive on the other hand, was for the first time all about playing with him, jumping on each other, etc.

It's been at least 2 weeks since they've seen each other.

I'm always on edge about him being dog-aggresive/aggressive in general, (from reading so many posts about dog reactive/people reactive/children reactive on the boards).

When they take him over there to "Play"... what is the best procedure to go through each time... just to prevent something bad happening... like a bad dog fight because Tyde all of a sudden becomes insanely dog aggressive or something. (really extreme, but when I worry... I don't worry about him overlicking someone... I worry about worse case scenarios... Lol.)

I think up until NOW, (since I'm asking whats best and putting a stop to what they've been doing) they've pretty much just been taking him over there, going in side, letting them all loose to play, etc.

Should they all be on lead, or Tyde only on lead, sniffing, things moved forward at a very slow pace? Will Tyde being held back on a leash, wanting to "go play/run after them" make him more intense? (When we're playing, sometimes if I'm not moving fast enough for him he gets "intense" and goes into "Crazy Dog" mode)...

These aren't "Strange" dogs, but since he's not seeing them daily, or even weekly, and since he's developing a "big boy" mentality (when playing with Boomer prior, he would sometimes run away whimpering cause he'd get scared... where as now, he's not "backing down"), should they be "introduced" as if they were meeting for the first time, every time they get together?

I want him to keep socializing with them... they're good dogs. But I don't want him being a meaniehead, or starting a fight because he pushes things too far or something...

I'm extremely inexperienced with Big Dog play... all prior dogs I've owned, been around... weren't "BIG dogs"... any videos of normal SAFE, HAPPY play with a GSD? So I'd know (and let my daughter/BF know as well) what to expect, when to pick up on what's not "play" and turning into something else.

I have a feeling I'd be a surprised at what GSD/big dog play is really like... all his "barks" sound like they're "Gonna rip someone's head off" barks... they just SOUND scary... (use to hearing Chihuahua barks... which, just aren't that scary or maybe it's because they're coming from such little things, it's not Threatening to me at all).

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have a GSD, a Weim and 4 Chihuahua's and everyone plays very good together. Abby(GSD) knows who she can and can't play rough with

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
At this point you should be more worried about the boxer getting rough with your dog. While puppies grow, adults tend to let them get away with things, then all of the sudden that stops and the adult will correct the puppy when he's getting out of line. As a puppy he probably won't do anything back (they're smarter than that) and will just back down. If it happens when your GSD gets older, then its really questionable as to the reaction you would get from your GSD. If he feels the need to put the boxer in its place, you might have a problem, but if he just lets it go, they'll both be fine.

For now, I would really supervise and not allow your puppy to pester the older dog. He's clearly giving him signals to back off and your puppy just isn't listening, so you have to make him listen. Allow him to play with the female and let the male decide when he wants to join.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you!

So when getting them together, what is the best way to start off? Just let them loose, or do it more slowly so they can re-familiarize themselves with each other?

I will definitely make sure when he starts being a "butthead" to either dog, that he's stopped and not allowed to continue.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts