German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been using the hose for play time exercise but have been using it as somewhat like a slow moving and steady flirt pole that eliminates the sudden jumps, twists and turns. I started out by teaching him to chase the end of the water stream and not go after the nozzle, then I just controlled how fast and how far I move the stream from side to side. It gives him good controlled excersize and he seems to like it a lot.

I taught him this over the course of a few months as I don't play with the hose every day and often times a couple of weeks will go by from one play session to the next.

Today we played and as always he had fun but, when I ended the session and time to chill out, as he will sometimes do, he went back to the hose and started picking up and chewing. This was no biggie he wanted more and sometimes does this. I told him to "leave it" and then put the hose away on the deck. And he went and laid down on his own.

What he did next is why I'm posting:

He got up and went to the last spot where the hose was and started looking for it, little sniffing more looking. He circled the area a few times. The hose was right above him on the deck and he could have easily jumped up to touch it but instead of doing that, he then went to the area where he had been chasing the end of the stream.

His behavior was a bit reminiscent of the red light behavior that he showed as a pup when my kids brought one home. I stopped that real quick.

Just thinking here and I did read a post long ago from someone cautioning playing with a hose but thought nah, my boy doesn't show signs of OCD towards it. But today makes me think twice. Maybe if I hold another short cut off piece of hose while playing and at the end of the session play tug with that and let him win that as the prize but will have to think on this a little more.

What do you think and/or have you seen this type of behavior with the hose?

·
Registered
9,731 Posts
It sounds like the onset of OCD like what lasers cause. I would never play with the hose again and keep him leashed for a while until he has forgotten about it. Do not allow him to these spots as long as it causes him to react.

·
Super Moderator
5,871 Posts
Just a thought...maybe it's the water and not the hose he's obsessing over?It's sort of like a light the way it sparkles in the sun.Then the droplets on the grass are sparkling too.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
I will never play with another dog with drive with the hose. Mine didn't get OCD really, but she is beyond obnoxious and it's really dangerous for teeth the way she bites at the nozzle

·
4,501 Posts
My dogs love the water coming from the hose. I now use a white water hose and cut off the hard nozzle connector so they don't bang teeth on it. I am lucky that my dogs each prefer different parts of the stream. My gal-dog likes the chase the end while my big-boy prefers the stream closer to the hose. I have to keep the hose swinging quickly for two reasons: 1) my dogs don't pay attention and would crash into each other even though they aren't reaching for the same spot in the stream 2) they would try to swallow too much water too fast and end up coughing. I don't want water going into the lungs, or too much water being forced into the stomach. So I hold the water hose up high and keep moving it so it sprinkles all over. I also have to watch to make sure they aren't getting over tired. They won't stop on their own and a poorly landed leap could end up hurting them.

Sometimes after we are done my big-boy will paw at the hose and bark. It is his way of asking me to turn it back on. He must think I'm as dumb as a box of hair because I never ever take the hint.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
We let the dogs play in the water from the hose, not the hose itself. It's a treat but they love it, they get a little refreshment and exercise. I guess it's up to each dog and how they behave, just like everything else in life. Mine don't pay any attention to the hose until I unroll it then they're excited. And when I need to get the garden watered I just tell them to stop. Life is good.

·
4,501 Posts

This was a couple of years ago before I changed my hose set up. My big-boy is trying to figure out how to get to the nozzle but I'm spraying from the other side of a fence. I don't have a plastic wading pool this year as they've already destroyed 3 of them and think they are chew toys! Maybe next year I'll get one of those livestock watering tubs from Tractor Supply.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I don't care for letting dogs play with hoses. Shepherds in particular seem to get very obsessive with chasing the water, at least all mine have if you would let them. It makes grooming more difficult for you, as the dog thinks the goal is to chase the water. We're lucky enough to have access anytime to several pools and beaches that he can play in if he needs to cool off. G also hops in the human shower with me on days when we've ran through mud, I cant imagine being in close quarters like that with a dog obsessed with biting the stream of water.

·
4,501 Posts
I don't care for letting dogs play with hoses. Shepherds in particular seem to get very obsessive with chasing the water, at least all mine have if you would let them. It makes grooming more difficult for you, as the dog thinks the goal is to chase the water. We're lucky enough to have access anytime to several pools and beaches that he can play in if he needs to cool off. G also hops in the human shower with me on days when we've ran through mud, I cant imagine being in close quarters like that with a dog obsessed with biting the stream of water.
that is certainly possible but so far my two have never mistaken playing with their hose and grooming. That being said, I find it better to leave the dogs indoors if we are hosing off a car or watering the flowers. Lately my boy has been inviting me to spray him down with the hand held shower (good thing my bathroom is easy to clean after he shakes). These games all come down to what works for each particular dog and family.

·
Registered
118 Posts
For those that may take your dogs to a groomer...I had a pair of Standard Poodles that the owner played with a garden hose with. Let me tell you, bathing these dogs was a nightmare, water from one end of the shop to the other, wrestling the hose away from them, my hair and clothes dripping, blood pouring from my face and arms from their flailing paws. What a mess! It took twice as long to get them done and occasionally I had to replace the sprayer and hose. So if you love your groomer, try to abstain. ;)

·
Registered
9,731 Posts
I will never play with another dog with drive with the hose. Mine didn't get OCD really, but she is beyond obnoxious and it's really dangerous for teeth the way she bites at the nozzle
Same here. I don't like the look in her eyes and the way she bites up towards the nozzle and my hand. But this is only when spraying with a nozzle. Not when the water just runs out without the nozzle and she can think straight and drink from it like a normal dog. Sometimes I wonder why I didn't stick with Whippets (just kidding but stilll....)

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
that is certainly possible but so far my two have never mistaken playing with their hose and grooming. That being said, I find it better to leave the dogs indoors if we are hosing off a car or watering the flowers. Lately my boy has been inviting me to spray him down with the hand held shower (good thing my bathroom is easy to clean after he shakes). These games all come down to what works for each particular dog and family.
Your male in that video certainly looked relaxed and not neurotic about it.. your female (i'm assuming female?) was very obsessed in that video, to me she looked border line stressed out trying to get it. Just from what I observed in your video she is rarely taking a break from chasing it, unlike your male who calmly sits down to observe for a couple minutes. Looks a lot like the behavior you see with a dog chasing lasers... constant anxious circling, attacking, can't stop behavior. Also... "Water intoxication, which results in life threatening hyponatremia (excessively low sodium levels), is a relatively rare but frequently fatal condition in dogs. At highest risk are dogs that enjoying playing in the water for long stretches. But believe it or not, even a lawn sprinkler or hose can pose a hazard for pets that love to snap at or “catch” spraying water." When I was a kid we had a neighbor with a shepherd who killed his dog playing this hose game, the dog drank too much water. They become obsessed like your female and don't know when to quit, your video was nearly what 3 minutes long and she never took a break? That is A LOT of water... Here is the mercola article on it. https://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2013/10/28/water-intoxification.aspx Does your female really ignore the water when you go to groom her with the hose? I find that difficult to believe unless you've worked a lot with her on it.. We've played the game in the past with our shepherds but only for a couple seconds... not worth the risks to me and the irritation of them snapping at the water when grooming when you can do an alternative exercise activity like play ball or dock diving.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
When i am filling up the kiddie pool I will let my male bite at the water. He bites as it gently and drinks a bit while I fill it. I never move the spray for him to chase it. He has never escalated or come up toward the nozzle. For him, like thst, i don't think it is a problem. My girl just loses her mind instantly if there is water. She will bite at the hose for 30 mins just because someone ran water prior to that and now the hose is off. Because if she flings the hose hard enough maybe some more will trickle out you see. Guess how many hoses full of tooth holes have been thrown away. She is no longer allowed anywhere near it.

I can relate to the groomer comment. I muzzle HER for baths because the detachable show head is close enough and she almost nailed me one time trying to bite it. If i put the fear of god into her she will stop but i just dont want to fight with her. What if she died the next day and the last thing i did was yell at her in the tub. Not worth it. She wears a baskerville in the tub. I don't let her go crazy because she would hurt herself thrashing around in the tub, i just calmly maintain it isn't playtime but every once jn awhile she gets target lock and i miss it and she tries to bite the water. At least this way i know i wont get bitten by accident, and she wont break any more teeth.

·
Registered
9,731 Posts
Aren't the males more relaxed in general? Griff certainly is and other males I have had as well. Even though she my heart dog, I hope Deja never finds out, but I prefer males because of it. Even my human male friends seem to be less complicated.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Like others, I do enjoy a bit of hose play and I think he does also. often he would run to get his soccer ball and carry it while running through or away from the water before and after I taught him not to go after the nozzle and once the water stopped he was good about going on to other things or just relaxing

Honestly, he's 7 yrs old now and we know each other and our quirks pretty well so surprise behaviors don't crop up often. I thought I had found a way to use the hose more constructively.

Ah well, will listen to all of you and my gut and leave the hose alone for a while, Though I wish I had recorded it as his trot/gaiting was really pretty, his downs were lickity split and the "leave it" until released were great.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Aren't the males more relaxed in general? Griff certainly is and other males I have had as well. Even though she my heart dog, I hope Deja never finds out, but I prefer males because of it. Even my human male friends seem to be less complicated.
My males have never been "relaxed". They will settle down if I tell them to but if it were their choice they usually would always be rearing to go pretty much anywhere. In the morning if i'm not fast enough Gandalf brings me his leash, my shoes, my socks, and by that time if I'm still not up he is sitting by the door waiting to go for our run LOL . I wouldn't have it any other way though... keeps me motivated! All of my males have had the tendency to obsess over hoses, I've never owned a female. I know if I let him Gandalf would act just like Car2ners female with the hose.

H&S , if you've had your guy 7 years and its never been an issue I don't think it's an issue... just like car2ners male is relaxed around the hose I don't think he has an issue either. For him its just a nice way to cool off and good fun. But her female definitely gets too obsessive in my honest opinion. If it doesn't effect them otherwise I feel like it would be wise to just keep the sessions short and watch how much water they swallow.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
They become obsessed like your female and don't know when to quit, your video was nearly what 3 minutes long and she never took a break?

/QUOTE]

Looked to me like a young dog having a great time for 3 minutes.......much the same as mine when I cut her loose on the water hose.

I think one of the best things that came about using the water hose/sprayer and lawn sprinklers with my dog was the amount of impulse control training we accomplished.

I guess they might not know when to quit.....like many other activities dogs totally seem to enjoy......so the "quitting" part is up to the human to teach the dog.

SuperG

·
Registered
9,731 Posts
Maybe teach them this :). I love raccoons. Raised two litters for wildlife rehab a few years ago. I know this is off topic.

·
4,501 Posts
My males have never been "relaxed". They will settle down if I tell them to but if it were their choice they usually would always be rearing to go pretty much anywhere. In the morning if i'm not fast enough Gandalf brings me his leash, my shoes, my socks, and by that time if I'm still not up he is sitting by the door waiting to go for our run LOL . I wouldn't have it any other way though... keeps me motivated! All of my males have had the tendency to obsess over hoses, I've never owned a female. I know if I let him Gandalf would act just like Car2ners female with the hose.

H&S , if you've had your guy 7 years and its never been an issue I don't think it's an issue... just like car2ners male is relaxed around the hose I don't think he has an issue either. For him its just a nice way to cool off and good fun. But her female definitely gets too obsessive in my honest opinion. If it doesn't effect them otherwise I feel like it would be wise to just keep the sessions short and watch how much water they swallow.
My male can be pretty pushy about wanting the water turned on and will leap for it. You missed the time he jumped all four feet into our flower box to grab the hose. I know about the water toxicity and don't let them just plain guzzle. As far as my female's manic running back and forth, she does that in the yard even without water. She LOVES to run. I think she has some crazy herding genetics in her since she often runs zig zags behind me as I walk along the driveway. If I let her loose out back the first thing she does is take off for a sprint around the property. She is the one I need to watch to make sure she doesn't hurt herself. She is also very good about stopping when we are done. At that point she'll go looking for a toy to play fetch or tug with. She has a huge desire to play. If she had more confidence she would have been a good OB sport dog.

All that to say, I know my dogs and watch for them over doing it. You are right that we need to be cautious with our games, especially ones that they throw their whole selves into.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts