German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my Rocky, he is a very sweet kind boy. But I am currently struggling a little bit trying to find things he enjoys to interact with him. It may be that he never has had any experience with playing and I am just starting from ground zero.

Rocky didn't seem to like playing ball at first. He does a little better now, but only if the ball is a squeaker. If not, he doesn't have much interest. Of course, the blindness in his right eye makes catching a ball almost impossible for him. He often won't engage with tug, and if he does, only for about a minute or two. We have done a little bit of agility, over the A frame and jumps, and while he does pretty good at it, I am not sure he really enjoys it. I have tried a flirt pole a couple of times, the first time he wouldn't engage with it at all, but yesterday I tied a piece of hot dog on it, and he did chase it a little bit. Rocky has been going to training once a week but again, I am not sure it holds any interest for him. The whole barn rat thing doesn't do anything for me. I have found Rocky a doggy pool and as soon as it opens, I am going to take him swimming. Nosework is also on my list. Rocky does pretty well with puzzle games but again, I am not sure it makes hum happy.

He really does really like walks.

Any other ideas?

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
Charlie had never played and she has sight issues. She enjoyed walks and loves riding in the wagon behind out garden tractor. She loved car rides and the woods. She isn't into tug with me but will play ball a little. She lived in a field by herself for over two years so her experience with humans was non existent. Hershey prefers human play and he has taught her tug (mostly cause she wants attention). Charlie and I explore our woods and parks. Its our time. the flirt pole didn't interest her at all and I think her sight was an issue.

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
Hiding pieces of food in house see if he likes this game. If so I think nose works will be a great adventure for you both. Try something real tasty and smelly like hotdogs and when he finds let prize be generous heap of hot dogs pieces. There is tracking an mantrailing to.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts