German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, today I and Nuhkia went up to my mothers again to spend Xmas with the family. So, my mother tells me to take Nuhkia out back and let her run around for a while to blow off some energy. It's privacy around the entire yard. So I do as she asked, and before I could get turned completely around, she had let my sisters yr old Shitzu out in the back yard as well.

So, I freaked out, however I didn't want to panic and have Nuhkia develope some insecurity issue. So we stood there with them to see what they would do. Considering the last time they were together they tried to play with one another. Well, Nuhkia seemed to be ok so long as my sisters dog would stay out of her face. And within the hour they were running like crazy beast through the entire yard. However a few things have me concerned...

1. Nuhkia seems to like to snap alot when he would run by her, or she would chase after him.

2. When she would eventually tackle him she would grab him by the throat until he would get free and they'd be back to romping after one another. Now, should I be worried about her grabbing him by the throat so much? Is this puppy play or is she actually veiwing him as prey? Is she would grab ahold of his ears she would hold on and then start thrashing her head back n forth. This to me seemed more violent then playing, however my sisters dog never yelped and seem to come back for more.

I assumed if she actually tried to hurt him he would yelp letting her know, however he never did this, which makes me wonder if she has any idea on how to actually play with another correctly.?

We are planning to sign up for puppy clases here shortly, however I'm a bit worried if she will be a little aggressive towards the others, however I've never seen her be agressive.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Ezra (7 mo) snaps his teeth and pins his playmates down by the throat when playing with dogs his size. I'm not sure about the head-thrashing part. That would make me nervous, I think. It seems like he might have considered his cousin "prey" at that point. Let's see what others say.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
1. Definitely sounds like a prey drive or herding type behavior. I think it's pretty common for herding dogs... i know lucy does it.

2. It's kind of hard to tell without actually seeing the dogs play. I know Lucy always goes for the neck when she plays with other dogs, but it's never to hurt the other dog, it just how she plays or wrestles. It's really hard to tell without actually seeing the dogs interact, but german shepherds are known to play pretty hard. Sometimes, a little harder than the other dog wants to play and that's when a fight can possibly break out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts