German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you let your pups free play in the backyard? I feel guilty, kinda like I'm ignoring him I do have to fence off the garden part because he digs, but I'd like to let him play out there. Anyone else just let them hang out outside for a bit?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Doggie door. They make their own decision. It's great, a real game changer in the ease of dog ownership. Granted my dogs tend to hang out near me, but they, dang it....she will pop outside to rule the realm now and again.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I can't as I have an 85 lb. parasite.
We have playtime around late afternoon.
Anywhere I go, he goes.
I don't have 2 dogs though.
As long as they stay close let them dig. I used to own a beagle, boy can they dig.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
How old is he? I wouldn't trust a puppy too young outside by himself, but that's me. I always supervise when a puppy is outside. Too many things out there to either choke on or destroy.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Whenever I put Dog Mob outside in a yard unsupervised, they end up just sitting outside the door waiting for me to do something with them, so it doesn't work for my crew. But as long as the yard is secure and there's nothing obviously dangerous to them (like a covered pool they might fall into and not be able to escape from), I don't have any safety concerns.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I'm too paranoid. Mine is supervised all the time he's outdoors. He would eat something dangerous, gnaw something he shouldn't, dig a moon-sized crater, tear up anything (and everything!) .... or sit by the door waiting on me. It's kind of a toss up which way he would go.

·
Super Moderator
5,385 Posts
Sometimes I have things to do that don't require the "assistance" of three nosy dogs. I could stick them in crates, but the backyard works just fine.

If it's not too hot outside, I'll toss the whole bunch out there and shut the dog door. Leave them out there for an hour. They dig holes, chase each other, tear the ivy off the walls,... you know, just general dog stuff.

I do have a dog door, that even 4 month old Russell uses. It's a life saver. It's amazing how often the dogs go out, when they have the choice to come back in. In and out, in and out, just like little kids. Sometimes I turn on the back porch light which is over the dog door, just for Russell, who sticks his head out the dog door and eats june bugs. :p

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I have 3 dogs and a doggie door. They go in and out as they please while we are home. I check on them every few mins or so by calling their names and come, then treat them. They never stay out too long, they like to be inside more often than not. I make sure all poop is picked up and nothing Dexter can get into. Like kids if it gets too quiet I go check on them LOL.

When Dexter was younger I did have to watch him when outside because he would eat pieces of concrete and what ever else he could find. He doesn't do that now.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I used to leave my crew outside by themselves until Ilka (mutt) started climbing the fence. I used to have to brush Leo's (GSD) teeth a lot, though, because she is a poop eater. It's easier and safer to just go out with them now. The only one I let out by themself is Lucky, my 13 year old Rattie.

As for digging... well, I evidently either had small burrowing critters that needed to be eradicated, or else the dogs just decided that no back yard is complete without a WWI battlefield recreation, complete with trenches. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LOL I don't think I'd mind the digging, but its not my house, we rent. He only digs (and I'm sure I just jinxed myself) in the plant beds, and they fertilized those before leaving (ugh)! I don't want him eating fertilizer!!! I put up a small white fence so hopefully he won't realize he can jump it!!!

We potty trained him using the jingle bells hanging on he door (so easy!!!! It's awesome we can communicate now!!) so whenever he jingles we have to let him out :/ and this morning he kept jingling to be let out! LOL

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Rocco has no interest in being outside alone. He's definitely a "Velcro" dog!! Lol. Of course he'll go out alone in the morning to pee and I leave him there while I take care of the cats (clean litter and feed), but he will be waiting at the door within 5 minutes (or sooner) of being out there. On the other hand, he goes nuts to go outside if I bring the balls!! Lol.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Absolutely! It's a necessity sometimes..like when I want to clean the whole house (everyday)..or if my 4yo son is having a playdate with one of his friends. Malachi has the fenced yard to play in. He does spend the majority of the time trying to 'window surf' to figure out what room I'm in or sits with his puppy dog face outside the sliding glass door (making me feel like a bad mother). I'll run out as much as I can and toss the tennis ball or I'll give him a raw bone to bury if he's going to be out there for a little bit. And I check on him frequently as I KNOW if he REALLY wanted to, he could get over that fence (I'm just not so sure HE knows it yet)..If it's a hotter day, I fill up 'his' kiddie pool so he can jump in there (but again that's only if he's going to be out there more than an hour which is RARE.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts