German Shepherds Forum banner

Playing fetch in water

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Jenny720 
#1 ·
Anyone have a time limit to how long you’ll play fetch in water. My kids or I will throw the toy by hand so each retrieve is not too far. One dog takes a minute or two break on occasion and the other won’t stop unless we do. Both dogs are approaching 9 yrs so I’m thinking I may need to cut down a bit. We currently go for about 30 minutes to upward of an hour.

#2 ·
Not there yet with the GSD, but I had labs growing up and we would just watch how much they are sinking in the water. Take note of the position in the water when you first start (how high their backs are when swimming), and watch as that gets lower and lower the more tired they are. That, and they will suck in more water when breathing heavy, so you can listen for how much they are wheezing/coughing. Just figure out where your dogs' thresholds are, and take a break when they reach them.

#3 ·
I'll try looking for a change of position this evening. My larger female will start pushing a bit of water with her lower jaw on the retrieve, she is holding the toy and does not do it while swimming normally so I'm not sure if this is fatigue or not. Same dog has plenty of energy for the short hike back, but walking vs swimming might not mean much.

#6 ·
My go girl takes short “unplanned” breaks during our time at the river. My kids and sometimes other visitors will start random conversations or my daughter needing help with the kayak. She is ready to play, but has to have patience at times. My other girl will take short breaks of her own doing.

They’re heading into their senior years and this has me thinking more about limiting some activity.

On a side note, being in the water and not having to deal with the heat must give them a little extra “endurance “ or something.

#5 ·
Although I take my dogs swimming a lot, I rarely play fetch with them in the water. If I do, it might be only four or five tosses at the most. I leave it up to them to set their own pace swimming after sticks or leaves or simply just paddling around. IME, they will stop on their own when tired if I don't interfere and leave it up to them.

#11 · (Edited)
The beach is one place I think max can over do it. If it is a day with just me and him playing his favorite game. -fetch. With the water keeping him cool it can fuel him more where otherwise he would rest under a shady tree elsewhere. He could go for hours but With breaks in between. It depends I normally gage it by what kind of zest the return is and what kind of saltwater and sand intake is being taken it , how much actual swimming is being done and how hot it is out, how fit. I keep in mind the deepness in the sand at the ocean and the crashing waves to contend with - it is a work out. We have a lot of beach make up to do not the usual summer.

Both dogs love to swim. Luna prefers to swim in the bay. If i bring max and Luna it’s mostly running and playing tag and if at bay where I don’t have to worry about them getting knocked by waves -both swimming with us. They are a lot of fun to swim with they are my chariots of the sea. They are luna 2 and soon max to be 4.
e025b36a8ff114ef2ace71f5165dd1c6.jpg[/IMG]

https://instagram.com/p/Bm3D__0lL11/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.