German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mia has extreme ball drive and loves for us to kick the soccer ball or play frisbee. She would play nonstop for hours if I let her. We also incorporate obedience while we play (sit, wait, back up, and down) Her focus on the ball amazes me. Never takes her eyes off it if the whole time and really tenses up with anticipation before we kick it. Anyway, my question is, how long should I let her play ball when we're outside? I do make her take short breaks which she hates. She's 18 1/2 months old and in good physical shape. She's one of those dogs who just never seems to tire when we're outside. Took her on a 7 1/2 mile hike last fall and she led the entire way. Acted like she could have done another 7.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Triad is like that too he is about 13 weeks?( have to check if you want to know) he will play and play .we was out from 7- 7:30 and then 15 mins later till it started to get dark he couldnt see the ball .

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can keep throwing her ball as long as she's not breathing excessively hard and your arm can keep throwing.
That's the thing. Even though she's in great shape, seems like it doesn't take her long to start heavy panting. Maybe is just where she's so intense about it. Luckily, she prefers me to kick the ball.:D I do make her take like 5 minute breaks periodically.

·
Registered
130 Posts
My girl who is 22 months is the same way. She wants to play nonstop but starts panting pretty hard after just a 10-15 minutes or so. She's in great shape and very athletic but i do wonder about the panting.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
There's two main types of muscle: fast twitch and slow twitch. Most dogs use the slow twitch muscles which is what they use to jog and play with. The fast twitch muscles require a lot of oxygen and are the sprinter type of muscles and that's why they start panting pretty quickly. You do have to give them breaks from time to time to catch their breath. You'll notice sprinters don't do a lot of races in a row and that's because they need to catch their breath.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There's two main types of muscle: fast twitch and slow twitch. Most dogs use the slow twitch muscles which is what they use to jog and play with. The fast twitch muscles require a lot of oxygen and are the sprinter type of muscles and that's why they start panting pretty quickly. You do have to give them breaks from time to time to catch their breath. You'll notice sprinters don't do a lot of races in a row and that's because they need to catch their breath.
Thanks for the information Elaine. Makes me feel a little better.:)

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
I go by how much tongue is hanging out and how dark red it is. That is their radiator and the hotter they are the more tongue you see.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts