German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my pup is EXTREMELY velcro'ed to me, as in, if i go downstairs and close the babygate he just HOWLS away... and if i do the same but leave the house its even WORSE!!! but my wife noticed something that i didn't.. even though he listens to me and will pretty much only obey me he is more aggressive to me.. my wife just sits there and pets him and will lick her hand and be all lovey dovey.. but when i go to pet him ITS PLAYTIME!!! i don't know how many scars i have on my hand right now, and even though he's slowly learning "gentle", for me its taking WAY too long...

why is it he is more "aggressive" (more playful agressive) with me, then with my wife and daughters? is he trying to climb the social dominant ladder with me? or is he just being a pup in a weird way? i mean seriously whenever i want to pet him, he has to gnaw on my arm and jumps on me if i try to get to his level.

im not sure why he will obey me, follow me, sleep and sit right next to me and whine when i leave (only me, he don't care if someone else leaves)

for an example, today my wife and daughter was shoveling the driveway and they let him play in the front yard.. as i was pulling down the street about 2 houses down, he decided he wanted to run into the middle of the street and my wife couldn't call him back, but once i walked out of the car and he saw me, he instantly came to me and started welcoming me with ears down and playful tail wagging..

so my biggest question is: why is he so "aggressive" with only me? :help:

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
It's not really aggression what he's doing with you. Actually it's not aggression or trying to be dominant at all. He's just playing rough and being a mouthy puppy. Two very common things for GSP's.

He does it with you because you allow or have allowed him to do it to you. He doesn't do it to your wife because she most likely never allowed him to play with her like that. He knows who he can play with and he knows who he can't be rough and mouthy with.

If you want him to stop this type of behavior, you need to stop allowing him to play like this. There are plenty of threads about redirecting mouthy puppies and what not. You just need to be consistent. Can't let him do it sometimes and other times not allow it.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i guess i am the more of the pushover in the house.. i don't mind him chewing on my arm.. just my hands i cant stand and him jumping on me then grabbing my pant legs (ive been trying to break him of this since day one, and im talking ripping my jeans type of leg grabbing)
i am very restrictive of him being on the couch and quit counter surfing, but he cant figure out the counter surfing. probably he smells the food and wants it!
but i do my best to redirect him, but a lot of the times his toys are out of reach /c:

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
You can't really pick and choose with puppies. You can't really expect a puppy to know that it's ok to chew and play rough with your hands, but jumping on you and grabbing your pants are off limits.

He just sees you as a walking chew toy and he's just trying to play. Not saying he only thinks of you as his toy, but he definitely thinks he can get away treating you like one.

You don't have to be a firm, soldier type, leader with him at all times. I mean, he is just a puppy, but you're probably going to have to teach him that chewing on your hands is not allowed. That will probably teach him that chewing on you is off limits. Won't happen over night, but he'll learn.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts