German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long should I be able to play fetch- short distances- with a 5.5 month puppy? Anytime we play for 5-10 min- Max's legs hurt- limping, whining, groaning, etc.. For days. This can't be normal- right?
It's maybe 10-20 steps toss- in house.

·
Registered
9,713 Posts
He may have Pano.
I would not play anything for a few days, if he is limping.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually he played fetch in the morning- an the leg pain started after dinner..is there any pain relief I can give him? I have him in his crate- to keep him still, he seems okay- some grunts and groans- that's normal though- lol.
Out of his cage he cried and whines. :(
How long does pano last? What do I do? Vet said growing pains before- but I can't afford to keep taking him. He's been to the vet almost weekly for something or another since I got him 3.5 months ago.

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
You can give him a baby Aspirin to relieve his pain until you can get him to the vet.
Please don't give baby aspirin. If you do go to the vets it will limit his ability to give appropriate dog safe NSAIDS as there is a nearly 2 week washout period for aspirin.

If the vet has called it growing pains, then it is most likely Pano. There is not quick fix. Rest and growing up. That's all to do, unless you add in the occasional NSAID.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
34 Posts
How often should you play Fetch? Is every morning ok?

I have a 4 month old puppy he runs as fast as he can to fetch the ball but trots back once he has it... I hit the ball with a tennis racket so it goes a good 30 to 40 feet and this goes on for a about 7 or 8 times until he gets the ball and sits or I feel he has had enough....

Is this ok or should I cut short on the exercise/play?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts