German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I’m going to be crate training my puppy. My breeder said that he will be starting to crate train the litter in about a week. He strongly recommended plastic. Is there really a difference? And is it okay to get a big crate and use a divider as the puppy grows? Or should I go with a small one for now and upgrade as required?

Opinions welcome!

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Accidents are more likely to occur with wire crates but thousands use them without issue. I have always used larger crates that will fit the adult size and without dividers, again without issues but others will suggest a divider. I'd do that before buying medium crate that will be outgrown in short order and have to trade up. There's no strictly right answer

·
Registered
546 Posts
I like plastic as well. I think dogs feel more comforted and secure by the den-like enclosure. I also like how sturdy they are for potential break outs. They also give more security in the car.
We went through 3 crates as my boy grew and still use 2 of the sizes. When starting crate and potty training, a small crate will be more likely to prevent accidents in the crate because they are so hesitant to pee where they sleep.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Plastic for sure. Keeps the loose hair contained better. Makes for of a den feeling. The best reason for me is the wire crates can be deadly. Puppies can chew on the metal causing injury. Can get a paw stuck very easily. Can also try to get out and get stuck which can be deadly. It happened to my boy as a pup and I will never ever use a wire crate. I never ever leave a collar on in any type of crate. With puppies I use a slip lead easy on easy off.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
I prefer plastic. The dogs I’ve had have tended to tear up the bedding in crates, including the plastic floor in wire crates. They also tend to escape and force their way out of wire crates more. When I’ve had them escape plastic crates, it’s generally been with less damage than escapes from wire crates.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi everyone!

I’m going to be crate training my puppy. My breeder said that he will be starting to crate train the litter in about a week. He strongly recommended plastic. Is there really a difference? And is it okay to get a big crate and use a divider as the puppy grows? Or should I go with a small one for now and upgrade as required?

Opinions welcome!
I personally like the wire crates. They allow your pup to be part of the action even when he's in his crate and I feel they are easier to clean. I had a plastic crate at one point, and when the new puppy messed....which they will at some point...it was a BEAR to clean!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you everyone who responded. I truly appreciate you taking the time to share your opinions. You guys definitely helped us with our decision. We had been debating type and size for a while and we’ve decided that we’re going to get a large plastic crate as we want our baby to have a safe space/ puppy cave that he/she can go to at any time.

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
Get the full size crate, forget about a divider. I've never needed them. I don't like the "wire cage" type crates (have two sizes of these, free, never used either one, but "just in case") "Airline" crates can be assembled in a vehicle pretty easily. If you want a metal crate, I'd do the expensive ones - not the wire cage ones. So then it comes down to how much money do you want to spend?

·
Registered
218 Posts
I prefer plastic for puppies. Less ways for them to hurt themselves. That said I have a XL wire one for travel. I like that the wire ones fold down almost flat so easy to store. But puppies ALWAYS get plastic in my house. I have about 4 different sizes that they can use and outgrown.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts