German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
163 Posts
I use them all the time. In my area its really hard to buy any collar that isn’t really tacky with a belt buckle type buckle. So we have forever been using plastic. My dog that I use it with is only 45, maybe 50 lbs max. He does pull a lot on walks but it has never snapped and we have had the same collar for about 2 years. We did buy a new one because his was getting so dirty at daycare and that one snapped on the first day but only because a Rottie was biting into it. He now has a cheesy belt buckle one for daycare lol. But we still, for two years have been using a plastic one and it’s holding strong. However, he’s small so that may be why.

· Registered
163 Posts
I don't really care for the buckle collars because the end always ends up looking ratty and doesn't lay flat. If you get it two inches shorter, it's too short to poke back through the tab and stay there, and if it's two inches longer it sticks out too much and looks unkempt. I like the snap collars because you can adjust to the micro-inch, but I will only use the EK ones because I don't trust the cheap ones.
There would be difference in quality for different companies. Our snap buckle is pretty tough, it’s been through quite a lot from the puppy chewing it, me stepping on it, resisting my dog pulling almost every day, etc. Like i said, it’s been with us for two years and it still looks brand new and i still hear a loud SNAP when i close it.

There are really cheap ones out there that I’m sure would break on one pull i guess like everything you have to research what you buy.

· Registered
163 Posts
I totally agree with you. My Bruno has a belt buckle collar for daycare and the end is all ratty, frayed and I hate to say it... smelly LOL I try and wash it buy hey... its daycare... the smell is still there after a wash.

I’m not sure if you were referring to me, lol but I am totally for snap collars. I have never had a bad experience with them. I think it’s all in the quality you buy and if it’s for your dog, some dogs need different collars then others.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.