German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently acquired a 15yr old plant that is beginning to show signs of presumed stress (yellow leaves). Somehow it survived in its same indoor spot with weekly watering in a pot with no drain and has grown to the size that it is, but i’d like to do better.

i’m attaching a couple of photos hoping that someone would be able to look at the base/root system and confirm if this is a plant that i can split into 2-4 smaller plants? it’d give it some more breathing room and i’d have more options (pots, lighting/locations) if it were smaller. if so, i assume there is a correct way to go about this without damaging or stressing the plant further?

Also, do yellow leaves ever recover? or just die off and eventually get replaced?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
What kind of plant is that? Is it a type of Palm? Yellow leaves will recover on some plants, some won't.

·
Super Moderator
6,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have no idea 😬
not a palm tho...

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
I'm thinking some kind of philodendron?
If it is they don't like direct sun and will yellow if placed in it. Should be in a bright location and don't over water, they like a big enough pot that the roots don't get near the side. Let the soil dry a bit between watering.

·
Super Moderator
6,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How risky do you think it’d be to divide it?

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
I don't know. I only know that much about them because they need similar care to a pothos. And I'm only guessing that's what it is. There are two types of Philadendrons, the climbing and the tree type or as I call them the sprawling.
Common house trees are them, palms and umbrellas. It's not an umbrella or a palm, so that's my best guess.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I agree with @Springbrz, it's a Philodendron selloum (How to Care for a Philo or Philodendron Selloum "Hope" Houseplant). Have one myself. :) It's considered quite toxic, so you'll need to take steps to protect the plant and the animals.

IMO yellowing leaves are unsightly and only become more so on their way to the "Plant Bridge." They don't recover, so I just lop them off. I focus my cut where the leaf joins the stem/trunk to neaten things up. Why the leaves are yellowing and how many are yellowing are separate issues important to consider. My first thought is that the plant may need more nitrogen, but I'd only be guessing. I'd do some reading on Philo care (yellowing leaves especially) before changing anything.

To your question, were it my plant, I'd focus on getting it healthier before attempting propagation which can stress some plants depending on what you do (e.g., root division vs. leaf/stem cuttings). So, investigate different watering/feeding routines, different light locations, and give it drainage! You're in the Bay Area as I recall, so you can consider moving Old Joe outside if/when the weather's good. Bright, indirect light is best.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
4,660 Posts
I've always called them "Split Leaf Philodendrons".

Yellowing is usually too much water. They like to be moist but not wet, and do not like "wet feet" (constantly sitting in water). Also check for bugs with a magnifying glass.

I've not had one because of the toxins, but my friend split hers up with a serrated knife and re-potted in a peat moss based soil mix.

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
Pothos will yellow if over watered or placed in direct sun. I know they are similar with regards to care.

·
Super Moderator
6,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ah, thanks for all the help everyone, especially the positive ID @Springbrz and @Aly !! also, finding the attached photo on google is making me feel a bit more confident as i’m always afraid of butchering plants. i think this one would benefit from being thinned out, having a bug check, drainage and some food.

not too worried about the toxicity @Momto2GSDs (assuming this just applies if eaten?) Keys is the only pet in the house for now... but it’ll be good to know for the future as we may add another cat at some point.

wish me luck!

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts