German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am new to the forums and I would like to say that this is an outstanding site for info. I would also like to say that I cant stand this site ( just kidding) because it has made me want a GSD more than ever. :wild:

OK, my wife has given me permission ( I know laugh all you want ) to start looking for my GSD, She said that is my gift to me for putting up with her through nursing school, she will be an RN in October. She is getting a car, I get the dog.

I have had many dogs through my life from Labs, English Mastiff (best dog I have owned) and currently have a male (7 year old) Jack Russell. I have wanted a GSD since I was a little boy, now that I am 43, it looks like I will be getting one.

I live in the Va Beach area and would like to know of any breeders with in an hour or two of here. I would like to go see the parents, talk to the breeders and see the pups. I would also like to know what types of things are around here for this particular breed to do, like fly ball, agility, things of that nature. My kids are almost grown and out of the house, sort of, ;)

Another quick question, if we have grand kids in the next 3 or 4 years...is that enough time for the GSD to go through it ruff stages and be ok with them. That is the only thing that makes me nervous, the "Landshark" phase. I have never had to experience this with other dogs and do you think the GSD will be fine with my Jack?

Thanks for the site and any answers that I may get. Oh yeah, I am torn between an all white one and the sable, I feel like the all black intimidates people to much.

Until Next Time PEACE!:thumbup:

Thomas Hazlett

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
People are far not intimidated by my sable than my black dog. Sable and white have very different temperaments in my experience with 10 or so whites and countless sables

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Welcome :)

You're picking the best breed of dog ever, IMO, hehe.

With kids, I suppose it depends on the dog, its temperament, and how well you train and socialize it. Even so, my 2-1/2 year old rescue male adores children, even though he never met one in his life until about 6 months ago. We spend most evenings outside in our front and side yards training and playing and the neighborhood kids all stop to visit. I have three dogs, but Jack is clearly their favorite. He's the biggest, and a standard black and tan, so they can easily identify him as a German Shepherd, and I can see how proud it makes them feel. Last weekend he stood so quietly and let a tiny little girl love on him for about 15 minutes or so. She was maybe 3' taller than him and about 45 lbs compared to his 78. It was awesome. This is the same Rude dog that won't hesitate to step on my toes and headbutt me to get his ball, etc. Different beast, altogether, with the kiddos :p

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Temperments

What would the different temperaments be, I guess I miss understood some things in the forums, I thought there wasn't a difference, that it was more a myth, same breed just a different color. :confused:

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Yes and no. The color thing is a myth as long as both dogs are properly/well bred. I have a white who has the same temperament/drive as his colored counterparts and does SAR. The rub can be finding WGSD breeders who are looking for temperament/working ability over color.

In the VA Beach area you have Blackthorn Kennels. Christine has amazing dogs...bi colors and sables and Johnsonhaus in Frederick, MD.

Chapparal K9 is where the Dam for my dog came from. They are in Ohio and they produce quality WGSDs who could work if that's what you want. There's another WGSD breeder in Florida that's mentioned on here for producing quality dogs of the white shade.

Any GSD will look intimidating to the public, no matter the color. People cross the street or pull their kids/little dogs closer when I walk Finn and he walks on a loose leash and could care less about those around him.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Blackthorn Kennels

OMG , the GSD on the home page of Blackthorn Kennels is exactly the look that I want. That dog is absolutely beautiful!!!

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
I have a Blackthorn dog and he is AMAZING

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Feedback

Thanks for all of the feedback, I have the Blackthorn website bookmarked and that will be the first place that I go. In the mean time to get my fix, I went to the local pet store and set in the cubicle with my daughter and wife, playing with a GSD.

Does anyone know if there is fly ball or any kind of event in Va in the next few weeks where I can actually go see them working or competing in events?

Maybe this is what a crack head feels like, ughhh.....not sure if I am going to be able to hold out until October, my original plan was my birthday MARCH 13th....I dont see making it that long!!:crazy::laugh:

Thanks again

·
Super Moderator
32,367 Posts
Does anyone know if there is fly ball or any kind of event in Va in the next few weeks where I can actually go see them working or competing in events?
I looked up Virginia on the NAFA (North American Flyball Association) website, and it's in Region 9, along with NC, SC, and WV. Here's a link to the upcoming tournaments in your region - there are 2 in August and 2 in September. The next one is the weekend of 8/17-8/18 in Cary, NC., not sure how far that is from you. North American Flyball Association | Report

I do flyball with my girl Halo, we've been racing with Marin Running Riot for a little over a year. There aren't that many GSDs in flyball though, so even if you go to a tournament you might not see any. There's only one other GSD that I know of in my region, which includes the entire state of California. It's in So Cal, and they only come up to this area for tournaments occasionally so I've only seen the dog a few times.

Here's a picture thread of Halo at her last tournament Memorial Day weekend: http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/pictures-pictures-pictures/288866-halo-flyball-pics-paw-tournament.html

·
Registered
803 Posts
Hi,

I'm from VA Beach. I'd suggest blackthorn kennels (Christine) as everyone else said and Vom Ron German shepherds (Joan) as well.

As far as trainers n stuff, I would suggest that you go on PDB (Pedigree Database) and send a message to Slamdunc. Slam is a LEO in Hampton Roads and can help you select the right pup and set you up with a good trainer. Ask him to show you Boomer. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Debbie (that is my wife's name) thank you for the info, your GSD is absolutely beautiful. What was the process like in the beginning, trying to get your GSD to do the things needed for fly-ball, was it harder than expected, easier?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks

Hi,

I'm from VA Beach. I'd suggest blackthorn kennels (Christine) as everyone else said and Vom Ron German shepherds (Joan) as well.

As far as trainers n stuff, I would suggest that you go on PDB (Pedigree Database) and send a message to Slamdunc. Slam is a LEO in Hampton Roads and can help you select the right pup and set you up with a good trainer. Ask him to show you Boomer. :)
I will definitely check these out and I will ask about Boomer, thanks for all the help, so far this forum has been one of the most informative and the most pleasant people to deal with....I can not wait to have my own so I can post some pictures and progress of the training that I will be doing. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Another quick question

When I start the training, is it going to be best to keep my Jack Russell (Russie) in the house and How do you keep my Jack from getting jealous, since he is so used to going with me? :confused:

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
When I start the training, is it going to be best to keep my Jack Russell (Russie) in the house and How do you keep my Jack from getting jealous, since he is so used to going with me? :confused:
Yes, it's best to begin training with the dogs in separate rooms. Each dog will operate as a distraction to the other in the beginning. After a while, you should be able to work with one while the other does its own thing or holds a Stay (depending on your preference), but initially, I find it easiest to just put one dog in another room while working with the other.

When a dog has the behavior down in near-final form (i.e., once we're out of the learning stage and into the proofing stage) is when I'll re-introduce the other dog(s) to help with proofing.

re: jealousy -- that is a long and potentially complicated topic, and much depends on the personalities of the dogs involved as well as your own personality and leadership style as the human. Patricia McConnell's booklet "Feeling Outnumbered" is a good place to begin, though.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Events | AgilityEvents.netAgilityEvents.net

Check out agility near you by putting in your state then select AKC and CPE (two common venues) .... Happy for you.... You will adore the breed. My recent pup had NO landshark episodes I am thrilled to report... But it is better to be mentally prepared for it :) ( my older boy nearly wore me out with sharp baby teethies)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Christine is awesome.

That is all.

·
Super Moderator
32,367 Posts
Debbie (that is my wife's name) thank you for the info, your GSD is absolutely beautiful. What was the process like in the beginning, trying to get your GSD to do the things needed for fly-ball, was it harder than expected, easier?
Thanks! Halo took to it pretty easily, she was already 2-1/2 years old by the time we started and I wanted to get a solid base of obedience on her before I started doing a fun activity. She was already great at retrieving balls so I didn't need to teach her that. I hadn't done enough tugging with her prior to that, so that's something I'll start much sooner with my next dog. We'd also been taking her off leash parks since she was 15 weeks old, so she was used to being off leash around strange dogs. And I'd taught her a hand target (nose to my palm to the "touch" command), so transitioning her to a target stick, which our club uses to train the box turn, was very easy.

I first found a beginning "for fun" class, and even though we didn't cover much by the end it was clear that this would be a sport she'd like and do well at, so I started looking for clubs in my area, and found one that was offering classes. I took two 6 week classes with the club, and then they invited me to practice with them. Halo raced in her first tournament about 8-1/2 months after starting classes with the club.

Being new to the sport there's not a lot you can do by yourself, but there are some things that would be good foundation stuff for flyball that you can do at home. This is what you can do on your own, starting at any age:

Restrained Recalls - one of you restrains the puppy while the other one runs away, calling him/her. You can reward with food or a toy, but tugging is preferred. Even if you don't ever do flyball this is a great drive-building recall exercise.

Tugging - work on tugging, and outing the toy on cue. I'd back off on this during teething (approximately 4-6 months), being careful with loose and painful teeth.

Retrieving a ball - start slow, just rolling the ball a few feet at first, and teach to out the ball on cue. I use food for the out, and then throwing the ball again. Eventually I phase out food and the ball becomes the only reward.

Exchanges - out the ball for a tug reward.

All the other skills are either more advanced (the box turn), or require more people/equipment/dogs (restrained recalls next to other dogs, first on the flat [no jumps], and then over the jumps, opposite direction restrained recalls, where dogs are running towards each other but staggered at first and with space between them). We break everything down into small pieces and work on them separately before putting them together again, so the dogs are set up for success.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Debbie,

Thanks that was all very good info. I am glad I am starting all of my research now, it looks as though I have plenty of work to do. Yesterday, I watched the Leerburg Videos, outstanding obedience videos, I subscribed to the youtube channel so I can go through all of them, I may try to reapply( if that works) some of the techniques to my Jack Russell.

What are some good fly ball sites, I will also look to see if there is a club close by in my area, I found a Schutzhund club not far from me. I am basically looking at the different sports and working events for a GSD and preparing myself. I think it will really come down to the personality of the pup but at-least I will know my options and what the dog and myself would LIKE to do.

·
Banned
1,116 Posts
GSDs by blood are moderately nervous, very agile, very active, moderately agressive and very obedient dogs. It should be forbidden for people with young kids to have a GSD unless this person is ready to spend plenty of time to train them. The only stories I have heard about GSD and family little kids mainly were of a sad or of a trouble nature, GSDs are much better with 10-12 olds than with 2-3s, because their owners had more time for the puppy exercising and training him. But not with grandchildren. I thought long time what could be the matter there and came to conclusion that the matter is in our human attitude towards new baby. In the family with 2 or 3 young children their mother or father plays the role of the leader of the pack who gives orders to the young , so the puppy automatically stands in one line with kids, becomes equal to them, and subsequently competes for the attention of the leader, not plays with them only. Dogs grow faster than kids, and when he is a grown up already he might say to other small members of the family "Keep your hands off me!" in his doggy way, even bite. In this case it would be better to train your dog tolerance which is not easy, and teach your kids to respect the dog, not to pester him. The story is different with grandchildren, when your puppy sees that the new baby truly is the centre of the universe, everybody is around him how often it happens in families, are responsive to every baby's squeak, and, if the baby and the puppy live in one house, very often the dog recognises the baby to be the leader of the pack, prefers company of the baby only and will refuse to leave the house without his little boss. If baby lives somewhere else away from the dog, it is unlikely that he would be automatically friendly to him/her only because that one is little. Training would be required, don't forget that kids tend to pester dogs inside and the best place for them together could be somewhere outside the property. Everything is achievable provided you have enough time and devotion to train your GSD.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts