German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking to get a dog for awhile and will finally be able to in late May or June 2011. I've always had my mind set on a German Shepherd and have read tons of care sheets and etc. I have a specific color that I'm looking for, Black Sable. I'm wanting a male. I know it's really early but I always plan ahead. This will be my first dog I've owned on my own but had a dog while living with my parents. I don't really care too much about a price but hopefully no pup worth over $2000. I'm wanting to drive, not ship if possible but will be willing to pay that fee as well as long as it doesn't exceed my price range when it's included in the dog/deposit. The first website I had my eyes on was kraftwerkk9 but really don't want to pay that much even though they have really pretty dogs. I'm looking for a puppy that has bloodlines that don't have any history of hip dysplasia. I live in Texas but for college live in Arizona so either of the states that surround those two would be nice to find a breeder. I've never done this on a website so it's kind of weird to place all the details. So if anyone could recommend any good kennels that are reliable would be a great help! Thanks!

:halogsd:

·
Registered
27,338 Posts
Welcome to you!
JustK9s Home I've heard nothing but great things about this breeder and has the DDR lines you are interested in.
If you are planning on a spring pup, you may have to get a jump on it! Many breeders who have planned litters have many people waiting on them. Of course the screening process has to be done, but a 6 month window isn't very large for good breeders. I wouldn't limit yourself to certain states, as many great breeders with good reputations will ship pups(again after screening potential owners)

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I love the looks of Kim's(Just K9's) dogs, and from the way she talks about them, they sound like a dog I would want in my living room:)))

And I agree with Jane, searching now is not to soon, there are alot of dark sable's out there, just do your homework and know what you want and don't want to live with, because in the end you'll have to LIVE with that dog for 10 plus years, not just his color:)

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
not to get too off topic but I've seen this a lot where people love the dark sables but don't realize the big personalities that come with them. Please just know and keep in mind the sables are from the working lines and most of the time a lot more dog then most people expect so be prepared for lots of work and not just the average GSD temperment descriped in care sheets. read up on working lines and be prepared to give your pup something to do.

·
Registered
27,338 Posts
Many of the DDR's are black sable and don't have the extremes of some of the Czech or West German working line. Big personalities can come in all lines.
DDR's take longer to mature so the training should not be rushed or pressured.

I agree, do research on the lines you are looking at, as all have to be exercised(mentally as well as physical)
Develop a relationship with the breeder(s) you chose and let them give you the details of what their lines excel in and what to expect. Be honest with the breeder so your pup will be placed/matched appropriately.

There is a great sticky in this forum, hopefully you've read it already!http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/choosing-breeder/137533-things-look-responsible-breeder.html

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
I would say that while a black sable is nice, I wouldn't put it at the top of the list as you want to pick a good breeder and there is no way to guarantee what will pop out of moma...and you might have to realize that that black sable in the litter might not be the right dog for you.

I have never dealt with them, but Hans Prager of Alpine K9 is in AZ and is generally though highly of. He deals with Czech GSD's primarily.

Also I would say that you shouhld tell us a little bit more about what you're looking for in a dog and what your plans with him will be...that might help people put you in the right direction of some good breeders.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Cliff I'm sure it came across wrong but what I encounter alot is people that read those single page dog descriptions you find in petco next to the iguana care sheets etc.. Wasn't to put a stereo type on anything but I was at work and couldn't do a long drawn out explanation. Was just trying to let the OP know that a working line (in general) is different then say the average american line you find out there.

It was meant just to have the OP do some extra research specifically on the working lines and what they want to do with the dog what they can handle temperment and drive wise and then discuss that with whatever breeders she's interested in so the breeder can match the right pup to her.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.