German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We moved into a new house yesterday. I didn't put Bella up while we're moving I wanted her to get familiar with the house. She's settling in pretty good, she's in love with the stairs.

My wife orders pizza around 7pm and the delivery estimated time was an hour and 30 minties. So we continue to let Bella play around the house as we put away clothes. As we're doing this we totally forgot about the pizza with all the stuff around the house. The pizza was here in 30 minutes .

Next thing we know Bella starts barking which is pretty normal for a dog. Bella only barks for two reasons; there's either a cat nearby or someone is at our car,gate or door. So Bella is barking I ignore it because I can tell between her barks if it's serious.

It started as a mellow low pitch bark so I assumed it was a cat so I kept folding clothes and then the bark turned into something so viciously scary and that's when I knew it wasn't normal. My wife looked at me I jumped down the stairs case almost missed the entire staircase. Then I seen the pizza guy literally standing at my door. Bella is going nuts I mean that's something I haven't really seen in a while because she's usually calm. I don't think this was fear, she looked pretty dang confident. I'm not saying she won't retreat if he walked in it just looked very intemedating.

So I called her off, I didn't put her in time out I just told her go to bed. So she can understand I got it. Usually she listens but she didn't this time she had to watch this guy and she was still going off. Imagine holding your friend back from a bar fight and he or she is using all their energy to get to the other person, that's exactly what it was like. So I really had to force her in the crate. She wouldn't go in there even if you buried her crate with treats and toys. So I close the crate. My wife is outside paying the guy and I open the door and I said "I apologize sir". You know what he said ? "I don't know why you guys are apologizing it's not like I'm scared of your dog." He said that with the meanest look on his face and a very rude manner.

He didn't ring the doorbell he didn't knock or anything. He literally stood at my screen door for 7 minutes for no reason with the pizza in his hand. I honestly believe he was taunting Bella. I mean she was really going crazy. Usually it only takes me once to call her off I had to restrain her from jumping on the screen door and then force her in the crate. He had to be taunting her and then wanted to be a jackass about it. We still gave him a tip. I just don't know understand why not ring the doorbell or knock ? Don't just sit there and stair at my dog when she's barking at you. He had no other reason to stand there for 7 minutes

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
"I don't know why you guys are apologizing it's not like I'm scared of your dog." He said that with the meanest look on his face and a very rude manner.

He didn't ring the doorbell he didn't knock or anything. He literally stood at my screen door for 7 minutes for no reason with the pizza in his hand. I just don't know understand why not ring the doorbell or knock ? Don't just sit there and stair at my dog when she's barking at you. He had no other reason to stand there for 7 minutes
Sure he did, He was paralyzed by fear;)

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Maybe he thought that with the dog going squirrly the owners would show up to find out why. Especially since they were the ones who called him to come.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe he thought that with the dog going squirrly the owners would show up to find out why. Especially since they were the ones who called him to come.[/QUOTE

I guess your the type to check out every little thing when your dog is barking.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
When they are going off like you describe, yes. When I've ordered pizza and am expecting someone, yes.

·
Registered
7,133 Posts
I was thinking along the same lines as angelas, with all the barking he may have surmised why bother knocking or perhaps he's the type to knock lightly and you missed it?

Bella may have elevated her barking due to the pizza guy "standing his ground" so she up'd the ante? The home is new to her as well and some changes in her behavoir may be due to this and not from any taunting.

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
I'd bet that new home, everything unsettled, she's the only one downstairs, stranger at teh door all combined to make her anxious.

And, yes, I never ignore my dogs barking if I'm at home. They at least get told to "hush up" especially if they are barking at a nothing like a cat. I don't need a dog that feels the need to bark every time a cat wanders through the yard.

I'll second the others - he either likely knocked lightly the first time. Or assumed that when the dog started barking someone would think "oh pizza's here" When I go to visit someone and they have dogs barking at the door, no I don't bother to knock again. We all jokingly call it the "doggie doorbell"
Actually, I get annoyed when someone keeps knocking when there is a dog barking on the other side of the door. I might not hear you knocking but you think I can't hear the dog flipping out because you keep banging?

·
Registered
382 Posts
I always go check when Jazz barks. Reinforces that her job is to alert, mine is to check it out and determine whether there's a threat or not. Sometimes takes a bit of time for me to answer the door, because or main entrance is at ground level, whereas our "living" areas are upstairs. Friends & family know and happily wait. As for others, if they can't wait, so sad too bad, that's their loss.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I didn't think my pizza would be done and delivered in thirty minutes that's why I didn't think at first it could be the pizza guy. It usually takes over an hour living on the military base you have so many deliveries on fight night which is understandable.

·
Registered
556 Posts
If I am coming to someone's door and I am expected, I'd think ringing the door bell when greeted by a barking dog would be redundant ...
Waiting for a 7 minutes is quite long.

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
Sounds like the dog you thought would never be able to rely on as a guard dog may have other ideas. Wonderful! Because you have just moved into a new home (awesome!) these situations are cherished and perfect training opportunities.

Pay attention to every bark that you can and either approve or discourage each one, stop what you're doing and train, train, train - be absolutely on it as you are in golden hours for allowing or not - (barking behavior at the new house.) Your dog wants you to respond to give direction - you can't let a teenage dog that is guarding go long alone or they will make bad associations.

Pizza guys are not rocket scientists - don't take his actions or comments as anything that should influence you guys.:) - screen doors are not to be trusted when training- (they'll tear thru a screen door and the thin supports like they were tin foil ) I spent 130.00 on a screen door and my GSD mix (32lbs) went thru it like it was nothing.:eek:

·
Registered
31,827 Posts
Did he say he was there for 7 minutes, or did you notice the time the dog first started barking?

I have to agree that you don't always get the cream of the crop when dealing with Pizza delivery guys. I mean, if they were rocket scientists, they would probably be making more than $8/hr while chewing up their ride.

On the other hand, if you did not see the guy taunt your dog, that it could be dangerous to believe that must be it. I don't know how old your dog is, but if she is a young dog, she might be just growing into her mature attitude about strange visitors to your home, and it may be time to do some better training and leadership.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I think Bella may have been reacting more than usual because she is in a new place. Not sure what you mean by taunting her...she was possibly just trying to alert you to someone being there and was being ignored so it escalated.

·
Registered
55 Posts
screen doors are not to be trusted when training- (they'll tear thru a screen door and the thin supports like they were tin foil )
Ha! This is what I was thinking--"..wait, there was only a screen door between the upset dog and the delivery guy?!!" Kind of gives me chills of concern for everyone involved. I'm actually pretty impressed that nothing really bad happened, with them both at the screen door for so long.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Uhhh...why wouldn't you check out what a dog is barking at? I am on mine ASAP if I hear her start. I appreciate the alert, but she can't keep at it - we have neighbors!

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
Just a thought re screen doors there are metal art work looking shields for lack of a better word that can help with keeping pups on their side while still allowing air. We always had prior to this house solid bottom's on our screen doors. Its just a thought. we are replacing our doors and windows in our sun room and I will be investing in two of these as Charlie (sight impaired hyper 3 year old) has gone through our backyard screen. The front door is solid on the bottom. It has helped us. Bella may be as said growing into her protective side. I try to put our pups where the Delivery guy has no reason to make any contact with Charlie, Lucky and in the past all our others.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I always try to check when my guys are barking and sound like they mean it, especially if I was expecting something to be delivered.

As far as the delivery guy waiting 7 minutes for someone to get to the door without ringing the bell ... too weird, I don't think I'd order from that place again.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts