German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
She is as quiet as it can be.

I just came into my house late again, she just layed there sleeping had a quick cuddle and off she went to bed.

Just had some stickers attached to her harness, needs to left alone for a while so that she can adapt to our home and new environment.

·
Registered
10,059 Posts
Maybe redundant but a few tips: increase her exercise very gradually. With an older dog I wold be careful with sharp turns and sprinting after balls (avoid the Chuck It).
Don't feel sorry for her history. She lives in the present. Susan Clothier had a great quote "A new dog had three questions: 1. Who is in charge? 2.What are the rules? 3.Where do I fit in?" You have to answer them the moment they set foot in your life or they will fill in the answers. It gives them security.
I have seen how my teacher dog demanded this from every new foster dog that was brought in. I took the new dogs about a month to fully fit in my own "pack".
I enjoy following her story.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Yes she was named Maya now Pixy.

She doesn't like to play with balls somehow.

My mum and I is in Charge and she knows it very well even first day in home.

She knows the rules after one day. but we let her have a go first then see. Gradually all.

She sleeps a lot

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Congrats!! She's a pretty girl! Sounds like she's settling in, that was long process!! After she settles in more she may start to play ball, or may like other games! Our dogs liked soccer balls! Cody liked to play with toys, fetch, but when he was done, he was done! Clipper on the other hand acted like he'd have played all day and would keep putting the toy on your hands after you were done!

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
So today is another 90F+ day we did a short walk only as she wants to sleep in front of the A/C. I tried to clean her head now getting rid of the smell. Takes a while to get rid of the smell.

·
Registered
67 Posts
So she went to the vet today for heavy breathing, all ok needs to get used to our home.

She has also deworm pills as she is itching.

I brushed her twice now and showered her twice its seems to take the heat out of her. She sleeps much better now.

She's a gorgeous dog- as pretty as they get IMHO. It's great you were able to rescue her and give her a great home. I wouldn't stress about the weight too much. A new routine, food and happy life will probably dictate that : ))

·
Registered
67 Posts
So fourth day now going well. Needs to trim the nails but growls at it when doing again so I leave it. Its really needed as she bled last time during a walk.

Do you have any info of her previous life? She may have been left alone for long periods and never really learned how to play. There is a video on Youtube about the border wall dogs from the Berlin wall. The ones that weren't good for bite work etc.., were essentially tied on short runs on less threatened areas as alert dogs. They literally had no life - just eat, bark, sleep. Some of the people who ended up adopting those dogs had wonderful pets, but they didn't know how to play with people or other dogs. The good news is they learned pretty quickly. Sorry so long.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
We are finding that out at the moment together with the shelter. until now we had zero issues with dogs or people during a walk.

She is very social. She only barked twice at a light noise against a bird and a cat.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Luc spent ~3, 3.5 years in a no-kill shelter and took a long time to learn to play - try out different things to see if there's something she likes - Agis likes to chase balls, but Neb could care less (but bring out a leather rag to tug with, oh boy!).

She's beautiful though, and it sounds like she's settling well.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
Of course she will be with us, two visits from the rescue organisation and a phone call thats 3h long is a triple thinker for us to adopt her.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
She has been to the vet again for some itching under her front leg, its nothing just a seasonal allergy and a precaution to check:

She has lost 10% of her bodyweight in the first week at us which is an improvement. 33.5Kg > 30.15Kg 73lbs > 66.5lbs.

She also has a blood wound on her rear right paw. It was a glass fragment very tiny one and been out already.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts