German Shepherds Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Absolutely justified. Nice shot under heavy stress, I'm sure. Good on the cop... I'm sure the Animal Control guy was very thankful.

·
Registered
766 Posts
He did what he had to do to keep everyone safe. Shame for the dog but good shoot for the cop

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
I watched this about a dozen times tyring to make a decision. Judging by what I saw in that video, no. If I were there in person, maybe.

The dogs were not attacking from what I saw, the brown one was zooming around and playing with the catch pole because he didn't want to be caught. My Pit Bull (not Pitbull) does the same thing on a nightly basis when we get him riled up. When the AC officer fell he had PLENTY of time to bite and attack. This wasn't an attack, this was an officer having no idea what he was doing, IMO, and a trigger happy cop. The other two dogs just walked away when the gun fired; no attacking Pit Bull would do that.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
And the problem was neither did the Animal Control officer nor the police officer.

They also didn't know the dogs.

I would have probably fired too. I may have waited until the dog had actually grabbed an arm or leg, but then the risk of hitting the one being bitten rises significantly.

I hate to Monday morning quarterback incidences like these. I wasn't there. This dog may have a bite history or could have been the gentlist PB on the planet. You just don't know.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Not justified. They didn't look like they were being terribly aggressive, it looked more like some energetic dogs reacting to the man's sporadic movements. The man was panicking and flailing his pole around, of course an animal is going to chase it. None of that looked like the dogs trying to attack the man.

If I were to run around my yard my dog would do the exact same thing.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
Justified. If he had gone down again he could have been seriously injured. The officer had no way of knowing a warning shot would work.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Justified. If he had gone down again he could have been seriously injured. The officer had no way of knowing a warning shot would work.

But... He fell because he was running around like a fool and was an idiot, not because of the dogs. lol

·
Premium Member
11,255 Posts
well - if there were 3 pit bulls circling me - and I fell....I sure would be thankful that the officer was there.

Look at all the videos on the side where the key words are 'pit bull' and 'attack'

Some are very very sad for the owners and their pets who are killed....I cried over the 17 year old cat killed in her own yard and her teen aged owner crying over the cat ....

I don't blame the officer at all....he was protecting the AC officer.

Lee

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Wow. It really looked like playtime (from the dogs' perspective) to me, as well...

I can't imagine catching any dog, much less one of three amped up dogs, by running around in circles and panicking.

Could have been handled better IMO. I wasn't there, though...

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Justified, I saw three unsure dogs trying to scare off a "threat". I don't see too many dogs playing with hackles up.
You don't? I work at a private dog park with over 200 dogs as members and I see my own and other dogs playing with their hackles up on a daily basis. It absolutely is never a 100% sign of aggression.

well - if there were 3 pit bulls circling me - and I fell....I sure would be thankful that the officer was there.
Why? You would have fallen, gotten back up, and stumbled around a few more times without being bit before the cop actually shot a dog... He fell and got up just fine with no attack happening.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Sorry but I believe it was justified. Its easy to arm chair quarterback and say "my dog ....."

Keep in mind that most people on this board who do the "well my dog..." don't let their dogs get into a position where its even a question.

It was a question here and if I had been in that situation I probably woulda shot to. If anyone on this board had been on a walk and this happened to them, the majority of people on this board would praise them for taking any action to keep themselves safe, so why is it different for the cop?

I say blame the dogs owners, not the cop, or the dog.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Justified, sadly. You just never know with ANY dog, from a Pit Bull down to a Pomeranian and everything in between. LEOs and most AC people are not animal behaviorists or trainers, so what we see as playing or strictly defensive actions, to another inexperienced person can be seen as an attack or an animal about to attack.

It sucks, but it was a clean shoot.

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
Sorry. I have now watched this video multiple times. The brown dog was going in for a bite when shot. Yes the officer was all over the place, he was fending off dogs from all sides. They were not playing.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
I kind of want to take my Pit Bull into the backyard when I get home with a 6' pvc pole that we have of 1" diameter, tape a loop of string the end, and record what he does when I stick it at him. I can almost guarantee he would look just like these dogs did.

Is it a good idea to use caution in a situation like this? Absolutely. A warning shot in the air would have been a good place to start, imo. Or, waiting until there was actually an ATTACK, you know... Maybe a competent officer would help, as well.

eta; I think these questions on a GSD board are kind of silly, as well. Many people here dislike Pit Bulls and terriers in general, and have no experience with them, what do you think they're going to say? :p

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
A warning shot in the air would have been a good place to start, imo.
Absolutely not! The officer made a smart choice in being aware of where that bullet was going to go. Right through the dog and into a very big hill side. Warning shot in the air is how people die.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Absolutely not! The officer made a smart choice in being aware of where that bullet was going to go. Right through the dog and into a very big hill side. Warning shot in the air is how people die.
I guess I don't agree. Either know that you're shooting something that is going to hurt something or don't shoot, then. I bet slamming a car door would have done the trick, as well. Again, uneducated people taking care of dogs. I don't blame the cop as much as I do the animal control officer, but still.

Heck, cops carry mace.. He could have walked up and sprayed at the dog and the situation could have been avoided.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
And just where does the 'warning shot' land? You are accountable for any shots fired.

Top of a bystanders head, a little kids bedroom maybe? Warning shots are never a good idea. If you have to draw a weapon you better be ready to use it as intended on the target.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
And just where does the 'warning shot' land? You are accountable for any shots fired.

Top of a bystanders head, a little kids bedroom maybe? Warning shots are never a good idea. If you have to draw a weapon you better be ready to use it as intended on the target.
I am not a cop, and that is not the point. He could have just as easily fired into the hill without the dog present if he was going to decide he needed to fire.

1 - 20 of 152 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.