German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I doubt they get to pick him up :( He attacked the woman and then killed her dog. I guess there were no witnesses, though, so we don't know the whole story.

The woman had encountered the dog before and made a complaint. I wonder about that incident.

Sad story...and we've just been having this thread about whether we would kill another dog attacking our own, and saying how that virtually never happens. And here it is.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
This is one of those cases where I'd say the dog needs to be put down.

The owner has failed that dog miserably. But I can't see a logical reason to allow a dog to live after it has attacked one animal, killed another, and hospitalized a person.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
That dog would not survive many days in my neighborhood after that.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I agree with Konotashi - this owner (of the dog that jumped the fence) obviously has not done the research and taken the time and training necessary to responsibly care for a powerful breed. That is just sad and that is why powerful breeds get a bad reputation. Time and time again I say - it is not the breed, it is the owner! What an injustice to the dog - both dogs!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I agree with Konotashi - this owner (of the dog that jumped the fence) obviously has not done the research and taken the time and training necessary to responsibly care for a powerful breed. That is just sad and that is why powerful breeds get a bad reputation. Time and time again I say - it is not the breed, it is the owner! What an injustice to the dog - both dogs!
oh - although I don't agree that the pit should be put down.... maybe just put into the hands of an experienced pit bull handler that understands the energy level and handling quirks of the breed. In the right hands, almost no dog is bad. :D You just have to know what you're getting into! :cool:

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Gosh...I worked there.

No one will be able to pick that dog up, I guarantee you that much and I wouldn't be surprised if the dog wasn't already destroyed.

The dogs out in that area, especially the Pits, are bred for their aggressiveness and instability. Dog Fighting is huge in that area, so the fact that this incident happened kind of doesn't surprise me.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
I guarantee you, this is not a Pit Bull. Anyone with any basic APBT knowledge would know that.

Dog fighting doesn't make a dog unstable. They are/were bred for dog fighting, that's why the breed exists. Just throwing it out there.

Yep, he should be put down. Even if he didn't attack that person, to keep him out of the hands of an irresponsible owner.

Unfortunately, my animal control doesn't care enough, and hand dogs back over time and time again after incidences like this. MY neighbor was forced to shoot a dog to stop it's attack, it was patched up, and sent home to the same owners. This is the 3rd attack from him I know of, one of which resulted in an older lady having broken hands.
So it does happen.

I think you can tell just by looking at my profile, I'm a Pit Bull enthusiast. And I don't care for second chances for the dogs or people except in very unusual circumstances. There are too many Pit Bulls, it's a fact. Finding a real responsible home for a rescue/unpapered one is one of the hardest things a dog lover could try to do. Every rescue is over their limit, every foster home is full to the top. These dogs (without horrific stories to get them attention, and sometimes even then!) sit for months, and years on end waiting for even a foster home. There is a dog right now who needs a home who had a hole in her side (shotgun blast I think it was) that looked like a shark bit a bowling ball out of her abdomen, who was abandoned, and as her rescuer led her back to their vehicle, she saved them from a venomous snake. That is a hero dog. And still, as long as it's been and she is nearly healed, she has nobody.

Why even suggest saving this dog who has attacked someone? I cannot agree with that.

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
Yeah...too many dogs out there looking for homes that have never hurt a fly to worry about finding the perfect home for a dog that has attacked someone. I just don't get our new found want to save everything that moves just because we feel like its the owner's fault and not the dogs.

It's hard enough to find a home for a perfectly normal, don't hurt anyone, don't bark at anything pit bull...finding a home for a dog like this is pretty much impossible. And to spend resources trying to rehabilitate such a dog in order to place it in a good home takes away time and money from hundreds of other dogs that could be placed much easier.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The owner of this pit bull already had not shown to court for a previous attack a month earlier. The dog had no license and no rabies shot. Yet he still had the dog outside and unsecure. I hope he goes to jail. He probably wont.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
The owner of this pit bull already had not shown to court for a previous attack a month earlier. The dog had no license and no rabies shot. Yet he still had the dog outside and unsecure. I hope he goes to jail. He probably wont.
The sad part is they never do :(

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
371 Posts
I guarantee you, this is not a Pit Bull. Anyone with any basic APBT knowledge would know that. .
I would like to know what this means. If you mean that game dogs are not man bitters/eaters that is false. The APBT is supposed to be extremely human friendly and extremely animal aggressive. However breeders have strayed away from the friendly towards people concept. I have heard of plenty of Legendary Game dogs that were man eaters. So if thats not what you mean Id like to understand.

As far as the dog attack goes kill the dog no questions....

·
Registered
32,022 Posts
How terribly sad for that lady.

Put the dog down, and fine the owner a couple of thousand dollars, + all the medical expenses for he woman, and her dog (if they vetted it prior to it's passing), and give her a healthy amount for the loss of her companion as well.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yeah...too many dogs out there looking for homes that have never hurt a fly to worry about finding the perfect home for a dog that has attacked someone. I just don't get our new found want to save everything that moves just because we feel like its the owner's fault and not the dogs.

It's hard enough to find a home for a perfectly normal, don't hurt anyone, don't bark at anything pit bull...finding a home for a dog like this is pretty much impossible. And to spend resources trying to rehabilitate such a dog in order to place it in a good home takes away time and money from hundreds of other dogs that could be placed much easier.
Martemchik - I didn't think about it that way, I guess my knee-jerk reaction was to just try to save every dog but looking at it in the real world I think you're right. There are so many dogs out there who would make loving pets and wouldn't hurt a fly. Why should this dog be added to the mix when there is already such a slim chance of adoption... This one would need so much work and who's to say the dog would end up in the right hands - even the most loving owners are sometimes misguided. Humanely euthanize the dog and hope that the owner has learned a painful lesson.

·
Registered
519 Posts
That's just awful, I hate stories like this. Irresponsible owners not providing for their dogs. The dog and its breed gets blamed, the owner probably just won't claim the dog and the story is dropped. Owner has a brand new 'pit bull' puppy a week later from some guy down the street and it's father was 100lbs too, with a 32" head and is a red nose. And a year or two later, maybe in a different neighborhood, the story begins again.
I highly doubt it was an apbt for the simply fact that this dog is apparently 100lbs. Either it is the typical "my dog is 120lbs when it really weighs 60lbs" macho man scenario or it is some fawn or brindle pit/mastiff/bulldog/lab/rottweiler type mutt being labeled as a pit bull for the media aspect - pit bull attacks make headlines.
Makes my blood boil.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts