German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, Piper started limping. She has not had any injuries, and she lets me manipulate the paw and limb any which way without her yelping. After a while, she gets annoyed and pulls away or licks my hand. She is still putting weight on it. Five minutes ago I noticed she was also favoring one of her back legs.

Some pictures of the front leg and paw, maybe someone sees swelling that I don't?
ImageUploadedByPG Free1371074291.742666.jpg ImageUploadedByPG Free1371074329.311895.jpg ImageUploadedByPG Free1371074403.971264.jpg ImageUploadedByPG Free1371074477.815377.jpg

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
745 Posts
This happens to Layla from time to time after rough play. As long as she is not yelping I wait a day or so- it has always gone away without treatment.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, there wasn't really any rough play happening. She's kenneled unless she's supervised, so I would have noticed any sort of injury or rough housing. :/ it's just so strange that it doesn't seem to hurt her when I manipulate or squeeze the leg or paw.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
Tuke acted in a similar manner. Took her in and had her X-rayed, she had some inflammation on the two middle toes of her right front foot. She only limped that day and used two of the carprofen. The following day she acted completely normal, but we made her lay low for a few weeks.

·
Super Moderator
32,339 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Did you check the pads really well? Discoe was limping the other day, and I checked her hips, stifle and nails without so much as a sound or a flinch. It would be nearly a half an hour later, when it was still bugging me that I would check one more time and find a partially-healed gash on the front of one toe pad, almost directly beneath the nail, where the pad connects to the toe itself. When I applied pressure directly to that exact area would be the only time she'd flinch away from me.

In retrospect, she had been fussing with that foot all week, and every time I checked it, I never saw anything just because of the location of the split. And why it decided to heal halfway before causing enough pain for a limp is another confusion for another day.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Could she have glass or something in her paw or maybe a bug bite..just

1 - 9 of 9 Posts