German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 3+ year old female GSD. Her name is Bella and she is absolutely our best dog ever. Earlier this year, she started developing pink spots right above her lip. We took her to the vet and she said she had no idea what it was and to try changing food first. We have done that to no avail. After taking the antibiotic Cephalexin for about 2 weeks, the spots go away. However, this is their third appearance. We last saw them mid April but they came back 2 months later. The vet said she'll have to do a biopsy to find the exact diagnosis. We'll do that if we need to but were hoping to find an answer before stressing Bella out. I've seen different diagnosis after googling, like auto immune deficiency, pyoderma or even simple allergies. If we do not treat with medicine, they seem to get worse, enough where she'll bleed when she drinks. We'll continue with the vet (but likely try to find a better one) but welcome any ideas. We're in southeast region of Cincinnati.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Post a picture of the spots, people will find that helpful.
Does she like to keep a tennis ball in her mouth?

·
Registered
40 Posts
My girl got something like this. My vet said to switch to stainless steel or ceramic bowls. I went to stainless and it went away and has never come back. Just a thought.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. That's a good idea. We use a combination of bowls but we'll have to be consistent on what we use. I'll be honest, she was drinking out of the toilet more too so we put a stop to that as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She does not keep anything in her mouth. She had quite a few raw hides before the first incident but we no longer give those to her. It's been a slow process of things we've changed to see what is causing it. We even stopped sharing smoked meats with her thinking that could have caused it. For example, if I smoked a pork butt with apple wood, she'd likely get some mixed in her with dog food.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts