German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Deja is six years old. Her beautiful black smile is starting to show pink discoloration on the inside of her mouth and even around her teeth. What causes this and can this be treated somehow? It looks like she aged 5 years.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I'm guessing it's vitiligo.

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm guessing it's vitiligo.

Thanks! I think it is caused by stress during 14 days of boarding as it was new when I picked her up.

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Post a pic if you can. Could be raw areas, caused be chewing who knows what.
I know they had some good chew bones as I could smell her feet when I got home. Will keep an eye on it and hope it goes away. She is too active and healthy to look older than her age.

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Vet thinks it's inflammation and gave Carprovet, 50 mg twice a day. It made Deja scarily lethargic to the point that I stopped the meds. Reading up about that stuff made me cringe as it is not a very safe medicine and similar to Rimadyl. The vet suggested to bring her n for blood work and for IV fluids. But I gave her broth to drink to keep up her fluids. She is getting a bit perkier. What is a safe alternative for a NSAID? I will take a picture of her mouth and post it later.

·
Registered
9,424 Posts
Lip fold pyoderma, if I remember correctly.

When we dealt with this, it was suggested on this forum to use Penaten, a German diaper cream that contains zinc. You can get it on Amazon. Worked for us, and you only need a minute amount.

*** Aha! Just searched old threads.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Lip fold pyoderma, if I remember correctly.

When we dealt with this, it was suggested on this forum to use Penaten, a German diaper cream that contains zinc. You can get it on Amazon. Worked for us, and you only need a minute amount.

*** Aha! Just searched old threads.
This right here is why I love German Shepherd. Com. You guys are smart!

·
Registered
167 Posts
My girl also gets this sometimes. I'm not entirely sure what causes it, but I'm pretty sure once it's irritated she basically causes it by rubbing it. My vet says it's because that area stays moist, others say other things, and I actually had one vet suggest some kind of face-lift procedure to get rid of the fold of skin, but no thank you! I have my ideas that there is an underlying allergy that makes it flare up. Anyways, I use a zinc based cream (Sudocrem) that is similar to Penaten. So I would agree with Sunflowers and try that at least to start!

·
Registered
481 Posts
We bought some Penaten years ago because of that thread. Turns out, it's just zinc oxide that you can buy most anywhere that sells over the counter medications. It's much cheaper locally, too!

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all so very much. You nailed it! I ordered the Penaten cream. Until Sunday I use a zinc diaper cream. Interestingly the first reviews were from GSD owners.

·
Registered
9,424 Posts
The active ingredient is indeed zinc oxide, but the Penaten also has other ingredients that make it effective. Also, it is super thick and sticks. I like to apply before bedtime so that it is less likely to be licked off.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I'm a curious person, so because of my own inquisitiveness I thought I would look up the ingredients in both these products.

This is the zinc oxide cream, this one from CVS:

Active Ingredient: Zinc Oxide (20%). Inactive Ingredients: Light Mineral Oil, White Petrolatum, White Wax

These are the ingredients in Penaten cream:

Petrolatum, Zinc Oxide, Lanolin, TALC, Aqua, Panthenol, Hamamelis Virginiana Extract, Hamamelis Virginiana Bark/Leaf/Twig Extract, Hamamelis Virginiana Water, Allantoin, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Cetylpyridinium Chloride, Paraffinum Liquidum, Helianthus Annuus Seed Oil, Tocopherol, Alcohol, Parfum, CI 40800

That particular list didn't include how much zinc oxide it contains, so I found elsewhere that it has 18%.

I emphasized the talc since it's been found to be carcinogenic. I have no idea what a lot of the other things are or what they are used for.

Just thought it was interesting and maybe there are others as curious as I am. I'm not trying to promote one over the other, I was just wondering what they actually are, as I do with most everything.

·
Registered
9,424 Posts
What can I say... Penaten was the only thing that got rid of diaper rash when my boys were babies.
If you saw my arsenal of zinc oxide creams, back then, you would have laughed.
I do believe that cancer is linked to exposure. If you cover your ... sensitive areas with powder talc every day after your shower, it’s much different from a tiny smear of a cream containing it, on a dog’s lip.
Also, from one research lover to another, here is what I read.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Thanks for that link. I found this statement in that article:

Based on limited evidence from human studies of a link to ovarian cancer, IARC classifies the perineal (genital) use of talc-based body powder as “possibly carcinogenic to humans.”

Seems the jury is still out on that one.

As I said, I wasn't trying to convince people of using one or the other. I just like to research whatever I'm using for myself or my animals and make my choices from that. Everyone has their own way of doing things and that is as it should be.

I prefer medications with as little additional ingredients as possible. But that's me. Others don't have that same opinion.

Whatever works for you is good as long as it doesn't do additional harm. At least that is how I feel.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Clipper had something similar, he was 12 at the time. The vet had said it looked infected and put him on clindamycin and it cleared up. Moo (non GSD) this past year his mouth/lips looked similar to your pic, he had other things going on too but again vet put him on antibiotics and his mouth went back to normal. He is also like 12 though. The antibiotics for moo weren't specifically for his mouth, but it cleared up.

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update: after using the diaper cream, I took her to the ER vet on Friday night. Her lips got so swollen that she had a hard time eating her raw food. It also started to shed puss and she looked sick (ears pointing east-west and lethargic). This vet immediately recognized the Lipfold Pyoderma: antibiotics, cleaning with Chlorhexidine solution, anti itch meds and it is clearing up. She was fine yesterday (see post on Barn Hunt).The Penaten cream is delivered later today so will still use it to support the other meds. Gonna switch vets. This forum was more helpful than my own vet.

·
Registered
9,424 Posts
If it got that bad, I would leave it alone and just use the things you’re using. I wouldn’t put anything else on it. Do keep the Penaten in your toolbox to knock it out before it gets so bad, if there is a next time.

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
Check the lip folds periodically and keep them clean. With some dogs food "bits" can get trapped in there and lead to problems likes this. Hope she mends quickly.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts