German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
No.....not at all? Why did someone say that? They do go through different growth stages..a tall and lanky one, and yes sometimes their head can lag behind and broaden later than some.

You asked in another thread why she wasn't barking at strangers yet, and then the concern about her head size...I am gathering you were looking for a dog to be your protector. Well the best way to give that its best chance is to bond with your girl, look up "relationship games" maybe do some sport with her. You need to foster the foundation of an excellent handler/dog relationship if you are going to ask them to do things for you when she matures. And don't waste energy fretting on much else :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just asking about her head size as another GSD owner said to me that they thought her head was a little small for 6 months old

·
Registered
311 Posts
Take it all with a grain of salt. There is no gauging the expertise or casualness of folks met in passing. Can't tell you how many shepherd owners we have crossed that don't know there are different lines of shepherds or the fact that shepherds DO come in all black.

·
Registered
7,215 Posts
Take it all with a grain of salt. There is no gauging the expertise or casualness of folks met in passing. Can't tell you how many shepherd owners we have crossed that don't know there are different lines of shepherds or the fact that shepherds DO come in all black.
and long coats.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree i was even told by someone that she may be a cross breed as pure GSD's are not supposed to have wavy hair on their back and bum!!

·
Registered
15 Posts

Wow! Some people's kids *shakes head* IMO if one is to care for an animal potentially, one should research said animal before having it.>:)

Anyway, she looks fine to me. Like someone said previously, they go trough stages and look silly for a while just like we do when we are growing up. She is beautiful! Enjoy her :grin2:

·
Registered
15,889 Posts
I agree i was even told by someone that she may be a cross breed as pure GSD's are not supposed to have wavy hair on their back and bum!!

My first PB GSD a friend questioned because of the wavy hair.... "GSD crossed with what?" was her question. My answer "GSD x GSD."

They come in different colors, different coat "styles", different coat patterns, different sizes.

For people offering funky opinions, rather than worry about it, perhaps you can just smile and agree with them. Takes away the argument/discussion etc. Bottom line: who cares what they think.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
this dog has never lied to you.

no surprises or pulling a fast one and swithching to something
you just did not expect .

what did you expect -- the typically held idea of a DDR dog?

she lacks a well developed lower jaw . Many gsd do . Even some of
the wgsl's who have a big head - some looking like Newf's .

conformational faults that need attention in the breed are weak
lower jaws, wide set ears, over size ears, loose ligaments and tendons -
and then of course the roach back in one lline, and the exaggerated
extreme angulation in another.

does she have a scissors bite ?

·
Super Moderator
32,154 Posts
In those photos, no, I don't think it looks too small. But even if it is, that doesn't mean her head won't continue to grow as she matures. Halo DID have a pinhead as a puppy and her back end seemed to grow much faster than her front end too. She went through some pretty ugly phases along the way, she was really butt high for awhile. We were very relieved when her head finally grew into her body, lol.

It's really not worth worrying about stuff like this with a 6 month old puppy. Stop listening to other people and their opinions about your dog, and just enjoy her!

·
Registered
267 Posts
I think your puppy is beautiful. Perhaps I'm a bit partial because my long-haired GSD looks similar to yours.

I agree with what someone else previously mentioned - "a lot of people who make comments aren't familiar with the breed and the possible variations and different liines". There were 2 long-haired pups in Cassie's litter. The rest were short haired. My previous GSD, Becca, was a Sable. I kept getting questions about her as to whether she was part wolf. Interestingly, one of the people who asked was walking a GSD and wolf mix that looked similar to Becca.

I'm only 2 weeks into taking Cassie out in public for walks. I've already received questions about her, as most people aren't aware that there are long-haired GSDs. I used to get questions about my first GSD, because she was a large black & tan and weighed 90+ lbs. (some people weren't familiar with larger GSDs)

Current Puppy - Cassie

Becca - Passed on 8-31-18

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
Don’t let others define your dog for you. People think my dog must be a lab because he has a broad head. They have no answer for his pointed ears. People criticizing her may be used to looking at solid dogs with huge heads, usually WGSL males. Your dog is a female puppy of different lines and breeding.

·
Registered
5,773 Posts
My youngest male is a pinhead. He will be 2 in March so he still has time to mature out which might not be until he is 5 years or so. He had a massive head as a puppy. Regardless, he was selected for who his parents were and what his pedigree said he could be. He is a great dog. I will take the pinhead over some other faults such as weak nerves or shyness. Temperament is critical, appearances, not so much.

·
Registered
7,215 Posts
My youngest male is a pinhead. He will be 2 in March so he still has time to mature out which might not be until he is 5 years or so. He had a massive head as a puppy. Regardless, he was selected for who his parents were and what his pedigree said he could be. He is a great dog. I will take the pinhead over some other faults such as weak nerves or shyness. Temperament is critical, appearances, not so much.
Agreed! My girl Tuke has a smaller head in proportion to her body. I've wondered if early spay may have played some part in it. It doesn't help that she is over sized as well. Temperament wise she is fantastic and does well in just about any situation. No issues with her at all.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts