German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Does anybody have a recommendations about how soon should I start using a pinch collar on my puppy? She is 12 weeks old. Thanks

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
Aversives should not be used before at least six months of age. Most obedience today is done using almost all positive. Start training her now and you will probably never need a prong.

·
Registered
262 Posts
4 months is probably the youngest I would consider using a prong or e-collar. Ultimately it depends on the dog, how mature it is, and what you want from it. 6 months is a good age to introduce it. There is a Michael Ellis video on youtube where he talks about not giving corrections until the dog was 2 years old I think.

·
Registered
9,568 Posts
I like to start mine on prongs at 6 months or older. E-collar at a year or older.

·
Registered
173 Posts
My trainer recommended a prong collar for Juno at about 4 months. She went through a defiant phase. The prong was strictly reserved for training though. In retrospect, 4 months is probably a little too early, but I did not understand leash pressure until after I started to use a prong for Juno.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My trainer recommended a prong collar for Juno at about 4 months. She went through a defiant phase. The prong was strictly reserved for training though. In retrospect, 4 months is probably a little too early, but I did not understand leash pressure until after I started to use a prong for Juno.
Thank you

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
4 months is probably the youngest I would consider using a prong or e-collar. Ultimately it depends on the dog, how mature it is, and what you want from it. 6 months is a good age to introduce it. There is a Michael Ellis video on youtube where he talks about not giving corrections until the dog was 2 years old I think.
Thank you

·
Registered
195 Posts
I’d say 6 months... but try to work on your dog listening to voice commands. I didn’t until my guy was 1 so I had to rely on the prong now I’m reverse working him to listen to my commands. It’s working but I wish I had started training him as a baby I may never have needed the prong

·
Registered
624 Posts
Introduce 5-6 months usually.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I’d say 6 months... but try to work on your dog listening to voice commands. I didn’t until my guy was 1 so I had to rely on the prong now I’m reverse working him to listen to my commands. It’s working but I wish I had started training him as a baby I may never have needed the prong
Thank you

·
Super Moderator
3,127 Posts
There is a video where he talks about what a mistake it was to not give a correction until the dog was 2.

Reactions: Bearshandler

·
Super Moderator
3,127 Posts
Can I ask what you are trying to accomplish with the prong? Is there a problem now that you are trying to correct? Are you involved in sports or do you have a reason for a strict, formal heel?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts