German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I'm not trying to get banned here. But my puppy from the moment we brought him home to tonight when he's almost 5 mos. old, well, ravages his pillow and we just don't know what it means and why he does it.

We have a large dog crate and a doggie pillow that almost fits within it. The puppy from almost the first night he was here will pull the pillow out aggressively and than, again I'm not trying to get banned, hump the thing...for an hour.

Does anyone know what the Dickens is going on there and if it's a bad thing does anyone know how to stop it?

LF

·
Registered
766 Posts
My 9 month old has just started that thing. I read that they do that to each other as puppies as play and also they do it because (for a male at least i have no idea for a female) it feels good. Apparently just make a distracting noise because apparently if you tell them no or discourage the act and you want to later breed your pup they may be afraid of doing it out of fear of getting in trouble. So yeah when ever my pup starts i just go Hey! in a playful kind of stop it way so he knows i'm not mad at him for doing it but it does distract him. And here's the kicker :p he's neutered haha

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
An hour? That's quite a while to be humping a pillow. My puppy has a toy that he likes to mount, but he actually plays with it too - drags it around, barks at it, humps it for a minute, but that's it. I was told that they do this because of frustration, but whether or not that's true?

·
Registered
990 Posts
You do need to stop him humping, just a firm NO or clap your hands and distract him with something more fun :)

My male managed to get his whole penis stuck outside the sheath and couldn't get it back in after humping something.
We took an emergency trip to the vet at 11.30pm. He had to be sedated and the vet had to put big sutures in the skin to pull it back over :(
The vet told me to always trim the long wispy hairs around the opening to stop them getting wrapped around the penis and stop it going back in.
Boys :D

Read this its informative and funny :)

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/showthread.php?t=196807

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
OK, I'm not trying to get banned here. But my puppy from the moment we brought him home to tonight when he's almost 5 mos. old, well, ravages his pillow and we just don't know what it means and why he does it.

We have a large dog crate and a doggie pillow that almost fits within it. The puppy from almost the first night he was here will pull the pillow out aggressively and than, again I'm not trying to get banned, hump the thing...for an hour.

Does anyone know what the Dickens is going on there and if it's a bad thing does anyone know how to stop it?

LF
Same thing here, started at 8 weeks.
We are not doing anything about it and not worried. I rather he attacks his pillow than my legs. Its a puppy play thing. I will only say no if he tries to do it to people, but his pillow is his.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts