German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never had a pup that peed when excited . My 10 week old male pup piddles the odd time meeting new people and also piddled when scared of another dog we met , which after getting over that was fine and found out nothing to be scare dof . Just wondering if it will be an ongoing occurence or will he grow out of it over time and by many more encounters with new people and dogs .Thanks .

·
Registered
85 Posts
When we rescued our abused Min Pin about 6 months ago, he would shy away and pee whenever I got close to pet him. Some dogs do this as a way of submitting to you. After the first week of trying to get close to him, especially after returning home, I'd take him out of his crate, without a word said, and take him outside to relieve himself. Then I'd praise him for going outside, and he soon realized that not every hand that comes down toward him is going to hurt him. After about 2 weeks of doing this, he never did it again, and he loves to be touched now.
I know this is a little different, but I just wanted to let you know that there are other reasons for peeing during different encounters.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i know there's alot of reasons why they piddle during encounters with humanes and other dogs and different situations. i was answering the orginal post.

·
Super Moderator
32,162 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it too much at 10 weeks old. Both of mine went through an excited peeing stage, Dena's longer than Keefer's. They grew out of it, but I can't remember exactly when. I know by the time Dena was a year old she wasn't doing it anymore.

It's usually submissive behavior, but with Dena she'd just get SO excited when she met people that she couldn't control her bladder. Until she grew out of it, we'd have people meet her outside so she could empty out, and then bring her in the house. On walks in the neighborhood if she saw people she tried to drag me over so she could meet them.....and then pee all over their shoes, lol!

With your puppy, by urinating he's telling the other dog that he's no threat (please don't hurt me!). As he meets more nice, friendly dogs, and gains confidence it will hopefully stop. He's still very young, so keep up the socialization and make it a positive experience. Everything is new to him at this point, and he hasn't learned what's a threat and what isn't. I always carried treats on walks so if my pup startled at something new and potentially scary, I'd walk them up to it with a trail of treats and then have them eat a couple of cheese cubes off it. That usually did the trick.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Doggiedad, I guess I should've been more specific, sorry, but I was also answering the first post, hehe.

I was just throwing info out there, and I hope readers didn't think that I was being nasty, or implying that there is any kind of abuse in Shawn Ms family!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts