German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man I wish we'd get some regular rain. The poor grass is really struggling! We are in a near drought here.

How to drink out of the big boy bucket...:laugh:

Randon shot of Micah

I'm tryin to sleep here mom...

·
Registered
626 Posts
Ha ! Don't ya just luv those " teepee " ears ! Good looking animal !

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
He is really beautiful! He has that serious look (until that bucket shot, lol!)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Cuteness factor is off the charts! :) He's going to be very handsome when older but for now he's just super cute!

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Wow he is gorgeous :wub: I am falling in love with Mals :)

·
Registered
230 Posts
puppeeeeeeee!!! she's PRECIOUS!

·
Registered
585 Posts
OMG he is beautiful...question are they on the same page as a shepherd, as far as like training and what not goes?

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
he is soooooo cute! and Micah is a looker too:))

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OMG he is beautiful...question are they on the same page as a shepherd, as far as like training and what not goes?
Many Mal owners and handlers say they are like shepherds on crack....some say they are nothing alike.

I would agree with what someone said the other day on here - the mals can be a bit more sensitive. I think he is much smarter and quicker to pick up on things. Much more eager to work and train. He is VERY play motivated and plays with every toy given to him, for long periods of time in comparison to my shepherds who get bored with toys more quickly and give up on the more difficult treat toys.

He is not as laid back, and definitely more alert and aware of his surroundings. He is all puppy with us, but doubt he'll be a very social dog with strangers and other dogs like our shepherds.

I guess in answer to your question, yes, I do find there to be similarities, but I see more differences than similarities so I wouldn't say they are like shepherds. Just my own observations from this pup and working mals I know, and in comparison to my shep's and dozens of others I've fostered or known over the years.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
I think that was probably me. Rafi may have some gsd in him but he's all mal in personality. He is handler sensitive, very intense and always willing to work. A prong collar would be a disaster for him. I barely need to raise my voice with him. I only ever need to teach him something once and he will then self-correct. He is _very_ serious about wanting to please me and he is really a perfect dog for me but will push boundaries like crazy with anyone else.

He goes from 0 to 60 in a 2 seconds flat. People say mals don't have an off switch but Rafi settles very nicely in the house...as long as he's gotten a good mental and physical workout. If not he carries on, unstuffs toys and generally makes a nuisance of himself until I take him out and wear him out. For him that means 2-3 hours a day.

He is very easy for me to train but not for the faint of heart. He could have been a disaster for a first time dog owner. He will literally run circles around me--unless it's hot, he's always moving when we're outside and bounces up and down, nipping at my heels with his ball. He has extremely high drive--play and prey drive but I can call him off anything (even a deer) in a split second. He will literally turn on a dime and return to me. He is tuned into me to the nth degree and if I don't spend enough time with him or am not paying enough attention to him he will find things to do on his own...like hunting mice. He keeps me on my toes far more than any of my gsds.

Because of the way I've trained and socialized him he is excellent with everyone, humans and animals. He is sometimes a bit macho with other male dogs but again I simply tell him to knock it off and he does so immediately. I have met other mals with similar temperaments. They also tend to lick people a lot! I have also met mals that are somewhat aggressive toward strangers so I guess it just depends on the line.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
My friend has two Mals that are extremely nasty with strangers though they were both well socialized. Every stranger is greeted with snarling though they do settle on command. They definitely do not play well with other dogs either except the dogs at the club they literally grew up and trained with. I've known them since puppyhood and they are affectionate with me when I visit, but if I were to just walk in without being let in they would eat me in a heartbeat:)

·
Registered
818 Posts
Awww, a baby maligator. :wub:

As much as I love my shepherds i've loved seeing mals work, maybe sometime in the distant future when I want something with a little more spunk i'll opt for a mali.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts