German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are a few pictures of my GF decoying her first dog (other than her own) from today. She did good. She had a lot of fun. She's realizing how much goes into it all. She said definitely not as easy as it looks. Anyways, here are the pictures. Please excuse her... "thinking" face haha.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Good for her! Decoy work is tough, especially for women who don't usually have the same upper body strength men do. Awesome job!

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
Thanks everyone. Upper body strength may be a bit of an issue. She had a hard time keeping the dog in the pocket on her drives. I think it's more of a technique issue. As long as she wants to learn, then I can find a technique to work for her.
Make her go take jujitsu. I'm only 135lbs. Jujitsu is a big part of why I can do alright with helperwork

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Neat pics. What the heck is up with the hippo in the background??

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Your GF is too cool for school! That's so awesome that you are with someone who shares your passion for the sport :) Y'll are one fierce couple!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Make her go take jujitsu. I'm only 135lbs. Jujitsu is a big part of why I can do alright with helperwork
Not a bad idea. I know she can get it. I know I was awkward as all heck when I first started and everything felt weird. Once she gets comfortable and stops thinking and just acts she will get it.

Neat pics. What the heck is up with the hippo in the background??
Haha it's a dinosaur. I don't remember the story behind it sorry. Now it just keeps the sheep company.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Your GF is too cool for school! That's so awesome that you are with someone who shares your passion for the sport :) Y'll are one fierce couple!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Thanks! I love her to death. I'm really happy she loves the dog stuff. I think that's all the time we spend together these days haha. Crazy work schedules.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
that's awesome!! I'd love to try it just once but I'm not sure I could stand there and take a dog launching at me and not fall on my butt!!! There's be no spin for me. i'd just drop lol

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
that's awesome!! I'd love to try it just once but I'm not sure I could stand there and take a dog launching at me and not fall on my butt!!! There's be no spin for me. i'd just drop lol

Haha, my GF actually had a lot of fun. She's not out to be the best decoy/helper in the world, just wants to have fun and give the dogs another picture other than men. I have a feeling once I put her in a bite suit she won't like it as much. Bite suits hurt haha.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Haha, my GF actually had a lot of fun. She's not out to be the best decoy/helper in the world, just wants to have fun and give the dogs another picture other than men. I have a feeling once I put her in a bite suit she won't like it as much. Bite suits hurt haha.

I can take the ouch factor but a dog launching at me, I'd just straight up hit the ground haha. Not out of fear but the dog hitting me would knock me over and I'm a pretty solidly built female. Thick boned, relatively strong (though I look more fluffy and well padded than anything right now). Gimme some time to get back in great shape and toned and then I'll see if I can try out decoy work somewhere, even just for the pictures. I don't know if I could do it consistently but could be fun!!!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
No... it doesn't... In the pics I see a GSD biting something on a girls hand... Yah that is "VERY" self explanatory.... Like really dude??

Decoy is easy enough to understand. The decoy is the person in the bite suit and/or wearing the bite sleeve the dog bites when training for schutzhund/IPO/protection/military/patrol/police work. Decoys are basically assistant trainers or targets for the dog to hone in on for training. Think of it similar to hunting. Hunters occasionally use decoys to lure in ducks or a deer. The decoy is a lure basically.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts