German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Juno, our 11 month old GSD, has recently become picky about when she eats. Normall this wouldn't be an issue but we also have Marley, a 6 yo Chocolate lab. Marley will eat anything, anywhere. When Juno doesn't finish her food, Marley surely does.

Juno seems a little interested in his food (he's on Honest Kitchen, she's on Fromm Chicken).

My question to those who've had or have picky eaters: Have you found you need to change foods often? Is it just that some dogs aren't 'hungry'?

She never had issues before this except when we first got her and attempted to transition her to Honest Kitchen (same food for both dogs would have been easier) and she wouldn't have any of it. Shes a slow eater either way but that's probably because I've always owned labs and they tend to be voracious in their consumption.

Thank you for any suggestions you may offer!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I have found that not only gsds, but aussies,huskies, collies - usually don't "live to eat" unlike labs and hounds. Since I don't want to cater to a picky eater, I take a firm approach. I feed a good quality food and stick with it. If my Sting isn't hungry, that's fine - food gets picked up after 20 minutes and comes back at the next meal. And no treats until he eats his next meal.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I also wouldn't let Marley finish Juno's food or you will have an obese lab on your hand! I would feed them in separate spots or stand guard until time to take up Juno's food.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts