German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For almost two months I'm trying to get Gizmo to eat regular meals without having to stand over him like he's a child or handfeeding him. I knew he liked Kefir all along but after our favorite Malinois MaDeuce ate my main Culture I've had to start growing a tiny little piece from scratch and that Kefir was solely for Indra.

A day or two ago I've posted on facebook that I'm thinking about compromizing because the only thing he wants to eat is the worst possible dog food out there. Alpo, Beneful, Dog Chow... that's what he eats but he will not touch 4Health unless I stand right next to him and MAKE him eat. :headbang::shrug:

He was very underweight when we got him and he's still underweight. You'd think he'd gained 10 pounds by now but nope. Mrs. Picky Eater has gained 5 pounds tops, IF not less than that. :teary:

So yesterday, I put down his normal food ration. He denied it. I then picked up the bowl and poured some Kefir on it. He only slurped up the Kefir and the food it was on, so I mixed it all under the food and he started eating. I then took a chance and added a 2nd cup of food and mixed it all up again. HE ATE IT ALL! :happyboogie::groovy:

Today, I did the same thing. 2 cups of food and mixed it up with Kefir. Again, he ate it. Now if he's eating 2 cups at night as well, I'll make a happy dance.

I really didn't want to put him on Beneful or Dog Chow just to get him to eat but was willing to compromise. Guess the wonders of Kefir are never ending and without knowing it, my junk food dog is eating healthier than ever before. HA! :groovy:

·
Registered
7 Posts
greek yogurt helped too

For me, I found greek yogurt helped. Maybe it's soothing to the stomach for them to eat more... not sure, but it definitely helped.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts