German Shepherds Forum banner

41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Have you ever tried using Nupro? I give both my pups nupro gold, great supplement, plus, if you add a little warm water and stir it in it makes a gravy. My 2 love it. Also try adding a little raw ground meat or Natures Variety instinct medallions. My female is very picky and she will not turn up a meal if it has some raw hamburger/turkey in it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Some good tips in here. My boy is 13 months old and has really become picky with his food. We used to feed him dry blue buffalo and mix it with some wet canned food 1-2 times a weeks. Never had a feeding problem doing this since we brought him home at 8 weeks. He slowly stopped eating any of the dry food unless it was mixed. We switched his dry food and he eat it just fine again for a few days. He seemed to love it but now he's back to not eating. He just got weighed yesterday and is 65lbs, he was 75 in December.

I guess I'll have to have him back on the wet food mix and I'll try the cheese on top to. The problem also is we took out his wet food cause it gave him soft stool and he needs a high fiber food because he has anal sack problems. He's gotten multiple sack infections and vet says his stool isn't emptying his sacks when he goes. This dog is driving me crazy!

·
Registered
7 Posts
We feed our dog Wellness dry and wet mixed, but have had trouble with her eating in the past.

Chewys freeze dried crumbled and sprinkled on top, a little of second new food added in, or a small scoop of canned pumpkin always did the trick.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I am having a very similar problem with my GSD Tess, who will be 2 at the end of August. She stopped eating her morning meal but will eat her evening meal, especially if a drizzle coconut oil all over it. I was concerned at first, but them my 1.5 year old Cairn Terrier is doing the exact same thing now. They both just sit there for a minute and then turn and walk away.

It appears to be happening a lot with GSD's who are in tact and around the same age and also heat seems to have an effect on them too!

I was feeding both of my girls TOTW, alternating between the Bison and the roasted Fowl. Then I saw Whole Earth Farms at Petco and decided to give it a try, I thought the ingredients looked good but the price looked even better! They didn't like it, plus it gave Tess the diarrhea, even though I moved them both over slowly. I decided to put them back on TOTW and now they won't touch it.

My husband keeps saying that they'll eat when they're hungry. I've tried adding water to it, canned food, pumpkin, yogurt and even chicken broth. I have to stay with a food that will fit my budget but also be a good food for my dogs. I'm thinking of moving them over to 4health, it's affordable for me and it has a 4 star rating.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Just out of curiosity why are you not a fan of Diamond?
This is what I feed my pups so I would love to hear what you do not like about it... :)

·
Registered
732 Posts
I went off of the recommendation of my breeder who is also a trainer at a fairly well known facility here in Ohio. My pups seem to be doing well on it Athena (18 weeks) weighs 54 pounds and Eden (12 weeks) weighs 32 pounds. They are very, very active with solid stools and absolutely no health issues. I know that his shepherds are high performing and very active also and he feeds Diamond. I guess all of the brands can have issues at one time or another... but so far so good anyway! :)

·
Registered
434 Posts
I went off of the recommendation of my breeder who is also a trainer at a fairly well known facility here in Ohio. My pups seem to be doing well on it Athena (18 weeks) weighs 54 pounds and Eden (12 weeks) weighs 32 pounds. They are very, very active with solid stools and absolutely no health issues. I know that his shepherds are high performing and very active also and he feeds Diamond. I guess all of the brands can have issues at one time or another... but so far so good anyway! :)

It's funny my trainer here in Florida feeds all of his dogs Diamond as well. Both my pups are doing well on it I switched over cold turkey and my 9 week olds stool were perfect the next day. My 8 month old not too great yet but he's just getting over coccidia and on meds so that can cause mush stool. He was on Fromm LBP and stools never really perfect and if I fed too little he would drop weight. Plus the kibble so tiny he would spit it out when eating.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
732 Posts
LOL... maybe we worry too much... It is terrible, for me it's like being a first time parent all over again and afraid that everything I do is wrong.

·
Registered
434 Posts
LOL... maybe we worry too much... It is terrible, for me it's like being a first time parent all over again and afraid that everything I do is wrong.

Me too:( I am always researching food. Sticking with 4 health for now. My others are on Earthborn Holistics pet shop said grain free no for puppies. Too many growth issues so won't be doing that.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I will stick to Diamond also at least until there is an indication that I should switch them. I guess as long as they are healthy and growing I cannot complain..

·
Registered
732 Posts
I do have a question for you though how do you slow a pup down while eating? Eden gulps her food down till the bowl is empty as soon as i give it to her, I can leave food for Athena all day and she eats as she wants it. They are only together when I am home and can supervise their play so they will not damage each others' ears so they are fed in different bowls most of the time.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Both my shepherds are slow eaters. Do you add water to kibble? It will slow her down. Yes I'm worried about ears too. Hers are up right now. My boy took 7.5 months old before his left was up with help of forms

·
Registered
434 Posts
I see they have bowls at petco that slows them down too. You can put a rock in the bowl so she has to work around it. Weird I know but people have done it. I'm jealous I wish mine would gobble up their food fast

Just looked it's called dura pet slow feeder. Pet supermarket

·
Premium Member
4,527 Posts
I haven't done it but I have also heard of people feeding their dog from a cookie sheet.. something about it being so spread out forces them to take smaller bites. Makes sense I guess.. something to try :)

·
Registered
732 Posts
I have not added water for quite some time now. I will give that a try to see if it slows her down...

Both of the my girls had early ears and each time they are out for playtime it becomes a WWE match so I try to monitor and protect them as much as I can... LOL

Attachments

·
Registered
732 Posts
I will definately give these suggestions a try.. Thanks so much! :)

41 - 60 of 72 Posts