German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
fuzzybunny Drake is the same way he will refuse to the point of losing weight. sable123....he gets frequent hotspots and has greasy skin...he is itchy all the time...we have worked our way to this food and see an improvement the more he moves away from all grain sources.
Were you supplementing with any kind of oil or fatty food when the outbreak of oily skin happened?

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
I am going through this EXACT thing with my 14 month old intact male. It makes me worry when he skips meals. He'll come to me and look at his food (TOTW HP), look at me guiltily then slink off into the living room. But by the next meal especially after exercise he'll eat again. I just bought the canned version of his food and plan to substitute half a can for half a cup of food.

I thought maybe the extreme heat was affecting his appetite. Is there a reason why intact males would suddenly change their eating habits?
My dog eats the same food and she skips meals. If it is hot, her appetite is down because her activity is down. Her weight has remained the same for the past year and it is a perfect weight for her so I'm not worried about skipped meals. She knows if she is hungry.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
The skin issues started at 1 year and at the time he was getting salmon oil with his food...I have stopped the salmon oil and there was no difference. Also...the canidae had 4 meat sources, I tried all TOTW meat sources, Petcurean was Salmon, Natures Logic was Chicken and he is on chicken now...his poops have actually started to firm up with the Nature's Variety.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Well I mixed in wet food with his kibble and he loved it for about 3 days, now he turns his nose up and acts like he will vomit at the site of it....I don't know what to do...he's going to keep losing weight...its not that he's not hungry because he tries his best to counter cruise.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
The only thing that I have found that will consistently get Max, my picky eater, to eat his meals is to add one piece of raw chicken or turkey to his bowl with the kibble and canned dog food. I give him a chicken back, chicken drumstick, chicken thigh or 1/2 of a turkey neck and he will eat every meal.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Now he is completely refusing...he ate 3 bites and walked away and would not touch anymore...he doesn't act sick at all, but this can't continue...he was underweight to start with.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Vet is telling me that I should switch him to Royal Canin because it is the only true hypoallergenic food...this is supposed to be a holistic vet too...

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
There are other manufacturers of veterinary prescription hypoallergenic diets such as the Hills Science Diet prescription and Purina Veterinary prescription lines. I am not certain that this is what your boy needs. He did eat when you added canned dog food for a few days. Please consider giving him something as simple as a raw hamburger patty, chicken breast, neck, drumstick, steak or something to see if he wants to eat. If he does not want to eat, you have an entirely different issue at hand.

I do know first hand how maddening this is because Max just went through this with his inflammatory bowel disease. He now eats every meal as long as I put something raw like a chicken neck, turkey neck, chicken back, drumstick, hamburger, chicken breast, etc. in the bowl with his kibble. He eats it all, so I know that he is interested in eating. It just took this type of enticement to get him to eat consistently.

It is frustrating to have to go through this, however, when they begin to eat consistently, it makes your efforts so rewarding and justified. I hope that this helps.

·
Registered
37 Posts
i have a very picky shih tzu that feels sick pretty often from the heat and in turn does not eat. on those days i normally add half a spoon of plain organic yogurt and half a spoon of cottage cheese and mix it in with his dry food and he swallows everything. GSD mix eats raw and never had a problem.

·
Banned
1,011 Posts
I have just the opposite issue with Tony. I have not read all the answers so someone might have mention this. Try cooking some cut up beef heart (pretty cheap at our butcher shop) in a small amount of water then coat the kibble with the juice and meat pieces. I have a small pan I use then I stick it in the freezer to cool it down before mixing it in. You could use any kind of meat.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Having the same problem with my 16 month old female GSD that is fixed. I blame it mostly on my relatives spoiling her with an egg in her morning kibble while they were looking after her but maybe she's just hit that stage. She was on Wellness LBP before and was doing wonderful until we put her on Wellness Core Original formula which she was crazy about for about 2 months before the egg feeding started. Now I have to coax her to eat and she's been back with us for 2 months. Just tried TOTW Wetlands and she doesn't seem any more interested in it. I mean she will eat if i leave it out for a little bit and walk away and ignore her. But I prefer her eat when I put the food down and let her take it. I know it's probably her stubbornness and the withholding food until dinner if she doesn't eat right away worked for a little bit but then 2 months later I'm still coaxing her to eat 1/2 the time. Going to return the Wetlands and try Prairie (bison and venison) and see if she responds well to it. I mean I've seen her get all excited about food in the past (runs to me when she realizes i'm about to feed her) so i don't know if it's the food. I don't want to force her to eat something that doesn't taste any good to her but at the same time I don't want to give in to her stubbornness and have her dictate what she eats. I honestly probably won't give her raw or even home cooked food. Not only can I not guarantee she gets the nuitrition she needs from the food I'd be preparing but the cost is just not something we can do right now.

Trying to find a balance in quality food and cost. I don't think she likes chicken kibble much and for a lot of brands the non-chicken formulas cost about $5-10 more. Hoping the TOTW Prairie works out.

·
Registered
75 Posts
We have a 4-5 year old female GSD – Bella (Isabella Shedmeister RubMyBelly French) whom we think has been altered (if that makes a difference). We adopted her about 6 weeks ago. The woman who found her (about 2 months prior) took her to the vet to make sure she was up-to-date on her shots and to give her a general checkup. The vet estimated her age at about 4-5 years old, said she was probably neutered and she tested "light" positive for heart worm, for which he prescribed a 6 month supply of Heartgard Plus.

When we first brought her home, she would not eat for almost 3 days. The woman we adopted her from had been feeding her Wellness Core Grain Free kibble so that's what we picked up, but she just would not eat. (Being naive, we also picked up some Iames but I quickly tossed it out after I did a little test and saw how much the kibble plumps up in water.) We finally got her to eat by boiling a chicken breast and rice and mixing it with her dry Wellness Core. Not knowing her feeding habits/schedule while she was growing up is really frustrating for my wife and I and I’m sure it is

We have since switched to 2 cups of the Wellness Core kibble and 1 can of Science Diet Adult Savory Stew with Beef & Veggies a day. I normally have to first hand feed her a meat chunk of the Science Diet before she'll eat, but lately that doesn't even help. Last week my wife picked up the Turkey flavor of the Science Diet by mistake and I thought we would have a challenge getting her to eat since she had been eating the Beef, but she went through 4 cans without issue – although, now that I think about it, she did start getting a picky on the fourth can. Now that she's back to the beef, after 3 or 4 cans, I've had trouble getting her to eat again. Normally the most it takes is waving the bowl of food under her nose and leading her over to her feeding area with it, but this morning we practically had to force a few bites of food into her mouth before she would actually eat. And, that was after not eating all day yesterday.

We are going to pick up a few cans of each flavor of the Science Diet and change flavors every other day.

(ETA) Something else I tried a couple nights ago was to add some Dogzilla Yum It Up Chicken flavor spread to her food and I didn't even have to hand feed the first bite to her. Before adding some to her food, I had tried waving the bowl under her nose, but anytime I put it under her nose she would just turn her head away. Then I remember how much she liked it when I added some Yum It Up to one of her chew toys, so I added it to her food. This time when I waved the bowl under her nose and then took it to her feeding area, she almost knocked me down getting to her bowl. My wife and I joked that the stuff must be crack for dogs.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
I'm always outsmarting Kira when it comes to eating. She'll unexpectingly turn up her nose at the same bowl of food, she gobbled up the meal before.

As others have mentioned, it's a good idea to rotate some wet food as a topping.

HOWEVER, What I found is that a sprinkle of PARMEGIAN CHEESE will always get her attention!
I've watched her turn her nose away, for a half hour. Then I would sprinkle the cheese, wave it under her nose, and she would then lick her bowl dry.

Go figure.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My GSD eats too little

Hi
My GSD (male) is 6 months old. We adopted him last month from another owner who told me that he had to keep the dog confined to his kennel as his residential compound has a no pet policy. He finally had to put the dog in a kennel for 2-3 weeks before we adopted him.

Since we brought him home. he has not been eating well and has had fever a couple of times. He still does not eat well and has developed protein deposits on his front legs.

We give him Royal Canine Maxi Junior.

Any suggestions would be very helpful.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
alpha2013 - Vetting your pup would be the first step. Fever usually indicates an infection of some sort is going on. That can throw them off their food.

As for his food, look for an all life stages food that doesn't have corn and/or wheat in it or you can choose raw.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Help - my 2 1/2 yr old female GSD is the pickiest eater and it's worse after her heat. We are planning to breed her so that is why she remains in tact. About a month before her heat and then throughout her heat I can't get enough food in her. The week her heat stops she does her Ghandi impersonation. She is on Nature's Logic Chicken and Beef canned and NL chicken kibble (which she barely touches). Have tried boiling meat, shredding it and mixing it with her canned but she just picks out the meat. Am tempted to put her on an all meat cooked diet. Her brother and father are both picky eaters so not sure if this is simply genetics? When she gets back on an even keel she only eats about a can or can and a half a day. I feel I've tried everything - what do I do next?

21 - 40 of 72 Posts