German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am picking up my GSD Saturday at 8 weeks old...the breeder has been telling me he is the dominant pup in the litter. I think I am going to have my hands full. I have done alot of reading watching videos etc...but any advice on tactics for the first week on getting the pup to recognize me as his leader/owner/alpha would be great! i understand the time it is going to take to train him but i want it...i want to have a well trained well behaved dog.

·
Registered
262 Posts
We just picked up our 8 week old last week. I'm in the same boat as you..lots of reading (for several months), videos, etc. But the bottom line is first 1-2 weeks you are trying to form a bond with your [puppy..not necessarily trying to prove who the alpha-male is !
So, for the first week or two, just shower with love, earn their trust, focus more on potty training, crate training etc. And oh yes..do feed with your hand. At this stage, food is their main driver and the person feeding them is the pack leader.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Who's your breeder?

Training from day one and being consistent will make you the leader. You don't need to do anything special to be "alpha". The dominance theory is a long out-dated pile of bs.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I just picked up my puppy almost 3 weeks ago at 8 weeks old. I firmly believe that as time goes by and you train your puppy right, she/he will recognize who the leader is. Just don't give in to the demands. Be firm about what he can and cannot do (like going places that you know it's not safe or you don't want him to go). Take him to obedience classes when he's ready and enjoy your puppy! They don't stay little long :(

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hydes shepherds is the breeder...when can i start doing some basic obedience...what should i start first? i figure most important is crate training.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Just love your pup and let him be a puppy for a while. Make sure he knows what he can't do and don't let him do anything that looks cute now but may not be so cute when he is bigger. For instance, jumping up on tables, etc. Sit is the easiest for a pup to learn. Don't make training sessions too long only a few minutes at a time. One thing that I did for my pups was bring a stuffed toy with me when I went to pick them up. I had the breeder rub it all over the pup's Mom to get her scent on the toy. It was comforting to the pup for the ride home and for the first few nights to have the toy that smelled familiar.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Emoore, yes that is my breeder. Melissa...she is wonderful and very informative...always updating me on him etc.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Congratulations! I agree...just let your puppy be a puppy and get used to his new environment and his new family. :) As soon as you can, get your puppy in a puppy obedience class. I took my puppy when she was just 10 weeks old to her AKC Star puppy class. It was a lot of fun. I agree...get involved in a dog club that has classes or get with someone who specializes in GSD training.

Definitely work on crate training and housebreaking with your new puppy.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
I am picking up my GSD Saturday at 8 weeks old...the breeder has been telling me he is the dominant pup in the litter. I think I am going to have my hands full. I have done alot of reading watching videos etc...but any advice on tactics for the first week on getting the pup to recognize me as his leader/owner/alpha would be great! i understand the time it is going to take to train him but i want it...i want to have a well trained well behaved dog.
Your puppy isn't going to give a rip who's alpha when he walks into your house. :)
He's going to miss his litter mates, he'll be hungry and thirsty, he'll want some place to lay his head that makes him feel secure. Concentrate on meeting his basic needs the first few weeks. Be patient, be consistent, keep him safe.

Everything that happens to him these next 6-8 weeks will affect how he views the world. Your job is to see that he views it as a good place rather than a scary one. He will naturally look to you as his "leader" if you provide the things he can't provide for himself.

·
Super Moderator
32,425 Posts
You can start training immediately. A good place to start is to work on name recognition (once you figure out what his name is!) and to reinforce behaviors that you like, particularly eye contact and attention.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Congrats! I have a 10 week old that I got at 8 weeks. Do yourself a big favor and put the crate in your bedroom where you pup can see you in bed. It makes a huge difference in the whining and howling while crate training. Sigourney's first night in the crate she whimpered a couple of minutes and that was it! Of course at that age that can't go out night without a potty break so when she needed to go she would whimper and wake me up and I'd take her out. A quick potty and she would go right back to sleep in her crate.

·
Registered
27,271 Posts
I would look at Michael Ellis video clips on Leerburgs site, they are great for puppy foundation training. A great book is Purely Positive training by Sheila Booth.
Do you have plans on doing SchH w/ your pup? I would get with a club and start visiting. The lines of your pup are strong, so he should be kept busy mentally and physically. His pics are adorable, what an exciting time for you!!

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
My advice is for you to enjoy every minute because they dont live forever. :(

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I wasnt sure if i was going to do SchH with him or not...if I am should i train him in german? how can you tell if he will be able to do Sch?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts