German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my puppy comes home in two weeks and this weekend those with reservations on the litter pick our pups with help from the breeder.

Pups are WGSL and originally I had my heart set on one of the pups, but now I'm actually considering two of them. Both are longcoats (not like that matters really) and both have really nice confident temperaments. I've been visiting the litter every weekend since they were born and have watched them grow up and really the entire litter is high quality, all very socialized, curious and confident pups.

Anyway, back to the point of this post. I want to do rally and compete in AKC trials with this dog. Maybe even some other dog sports like barn hunt and lure coursing.

Question for all you rally competitors is what should I be looking for in a pup and is there any kind of "test" you recommend? They will be 7 weeks old this weekend and I'll be looking for attention span, food and toy drive, confidence; what else and how do you recommend going about testing?

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
If you are impressed with all the puppies in the litter, and they all seem confident and have food drive, I would say any puppy you pick will probably do well in any of the sports you are interested in. I would just make sure the one you pick has good engagement. Good luck!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you are impressed with all the puppies in the litter, and they all seem confident and have food drive, I would say any puppy you pick will probably do well in any of the sports you are interested in. I would just make sure the one you pick has good engagement. Good luck!
Very true. Every one of these pups looks like they are going to be a great dog. For me in my discussions with the breeder, it's just kind of come down to one of these two and I'm sure some of this is my perfectionist streak wanting to take the "right" pup. Which is silly.

Just curious of anyone has any behavior test recommendations. :)

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts