German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
32,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was a photographer at the tournament the weekend before last, and they got some great shots of Cava. There's more noise than there would be at an outdoor venue, this was a covered arena with artificial turf so the lighting could have been better, but it's still exciting to finally have some official flyball pictures of her.

Dog Dog breed German shepherd dog Carnivore Grass

Dog Dog breed Shorts Carnivore Grass

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Grass Companion dog

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog Dog sports

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Old german shepherd dog Shorts

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Old german shepherd dog Companion dog

Dog Carnivore Dog breed German shepherd dog Herding dog

Dog German shepherd dog Carnivore Dog breed Old german shepherd dog

Dog Dog breed Dog agility Carnivore Grass

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,219 Posts
Those are great!I remember when you two were working hard on the turn and push off of the box (y)

Reactions: Cassidy's Mom

·
Super Moderator
32,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, a lot of people wrap their dogs to prevent injury to the stopper pad - sometimes all four feet, sometimes just the front. Especially when running on mats vs turf or grass because it can be slippery. Ninja was the start dog on the team Cava ran with, his owner always wraps his feet.

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Herding dog Collie

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Will this sport have an effect on the joints overtime?

·
Super Moderator
32,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Probably no more than many other sports. The hurdles are very low, much lower than agility or IPO. We do 7", 8", or 9" jump heights, in agility she'd been doing 24". IPO hurdles are over 3 feet high. We train a four footed swimmers turn off the box to reduce impact on the front legs and shoulders. At a tournament each full time dog will do 24-25 heats per day, either 8 races of 3 heats, 6 races of 4 heats, or 5 races of 5 heats, and there's a 5 race minimum break between races for each team so they have plenty of rest before they go in the ring again. Green dogs and older dogs will often share time with another dog, so they're only racing part time.

There's a potential for injury in any sport, and even with repetitive Chuck-it play.

Reactions: dogma13

·
Super Moderator
32,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for the joy you gave me. These pictures made my day!
I feel that way every time I look at Cava. She is so much fun to train and a joy to live with. 💜

·
Super Moderator
32,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Amazing pics!! You can see the intensity in her eyes 👀
She looks a little crazy, lol. But I love that you can see she's already focusing back down the lane to me and her tug reward as she's pushing off the box.

Reactions: Cigar

·
Registered
11,212 Posts
I feel that way every time I look at Cava. She is so much fun to train and a joy to live with. 💜
I firmly believe they add years to our lives.

Every time I look at my dogs I get a rush of pleasure. Touching them releases those feel-good endorphins, reducing heart rate.

We are so very fortunate to have them.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Sure, but exercise gets the blood moving, which is very good for not only the joints, but the whole body. And the happiness & engagement that's evident would make it worth it , IMO.

Unfortunately, there seems to be no such thing as "a blessing that isn't mixed".

·
Super Moderator
32,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How'd she do? Is it a competition?
Yes, it was a weekend long tournament. For her first time racing, I think she did well. She never failed to complete a full run although she didn't always bring her ball far enough so she didn't get to do as many heats as I would have liked, but she did get her first two flyball titles. I don't know if you saw my earlier post, here's some video of her racing: Cava's flyball debut!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts