German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't believe it has been so long since I popped by...Phoenix just turned 4 years old in May, and is still a very happy, exuberant pup! I had been keeping with regular visits with the ophthalmologist and his cataracts hadn't progressed over the 3+ years since diagnosis. He had approximately 50% vision in both eyes, so we just kept monitoring. I had been giving him bilberry extract, and even the ophthalmologist had not expected Phoenix's cataracts to stay the same for as long as they have. I have no idea if it was the bilberry extract or just lucky that his cataracts progressed very slowly.

This last visit, it appears the cataracts are getting worse, so now is the time for surgery. He's booked in for early August....I am now googling how to give a dog eye drops :grin2: and trying to stay as positive as I can in hoping for the best possible outcome. Any spare positive vibes for my boy would be greatly appreciated. The thought of having to leave him on his surgery date is getting me teary-eyed just thinking about it.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
You did a great job for three years ensuring that they were watched carefully and doing everything possible to slow it down. Lots of positive thoughts for the next step, recovery and many years of fun and great vision for him.

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
Hoping for a good result! My girl wasn't thrilled about eye drops (pannus) but she got accustomed to the routine pretty quickly.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you! It is nice to see a few familiar names still here :). @Nigel, I'm sorry to hear your girl has pannus, I have only read a little bit about that eye condition, but our pups do seem to be able to take things in stride.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For those who remember Phoenix and happen by our post, we did the cataract surgery, and he did very well! As much as I was worried that I might not manage the post op eye drops (I needed to give 10 drops each eye for quite a few weeks :oops:), if you ever need to give your dog eye drops, I found it easiest to pull the eye lid up and drop in the corner. Most of us pull the eye lid down when we give ourselves eye drops, which really didn't work for my pup. Most of the drop ended up on his muzzle ;).I also would leave a treat on the edge of the counter so his nose was reaching up.

Phoenix recovered quickly, he only had to wear the cone of shame for 1 week. Eye pressure was high in his left eye, which led to additional drops, but he was slowly weaned off that med. He now has perfect vision in his left eye...sadly something happened in his right eye, the ophthalmologist has no explanation, but he has retinal degeneration, and it was untreatable, he has lost most if not all the vision in that eye. Today he is a happy, cheeky boy, full of personality and charm. He will be five years old soon and I can't imagine my life without him :giggle:Don't tell him he's partially blind, he won't believe you! Nor do the bunny rabbits when he catches their scent lol

I hope you are all safe, Phoenix sends tail wags to his old pals.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts