German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was one employee at petland today that I found very amusing. As an ex-employee of a chain petstore, I know that you have to watch a video that shows you how to approach dogs. You are supposed to ask the owner if you can pet the dog, then put your hand out and allow the dog to come to you and sniff it, then approach the dog with your side facing him, crouch down, and pet him on his chest.

Clearly this employee didn't watch that video :crazy:.

Chrono was watching me look at dog toys and he had his butt sticking out of the aisle. All I heard was, "HEEELLLOOOOO PUPPPYYY!!" before Chrono was jumped on from behind by an overenthusiastic employee. The employee starting vigorously petting Chrono and rubbing him down all over while bending over him and talking to him in a very loud, excited tone and using baby words like "puppsy wuppsy cutey pie". The guy was bent over Chrono and had his face just a few inches out of reach of Chrono's tongue, so Chrono tried to do a little bunny hop so he could reach the guy's face and lick it, but I caught it in time and told him "NO". Chrono hasn't jumped up on people since he was a puppy, but this guy was just too much excitement.

The guy seemed angry at Chrono's attempt to jump. He said to Chrono, "You can lick, but NO JUMPING :mad::mad:" and then he went away(he didn't even help me find what I was looking for...).

Later I heard the guy complaining to his coworkers about how it seems every time he greets a dog it jumps up on him.

NO, REALLY? :hammer:

Anyone else had some interesting experiences in pet stores?

·
Registered
403 Posts
I am constantly at Petsmart, during the phone surveys, I always feel a bit embarrassed that I fall under the "visits more than 4 times a week category." =) I go there for socializing Texas, training classes, shopping, and visiting my sister, who works there.

I have a had a handful of awkward and annoying experiences. Two of the most recent actually occurred in the last two weeks.

In one instance, I was walking around the food aisle selecting dog food with a friend of mine, when all of a sudden an older man darted straight through and just started touching Texas roughly. He began to touch her muzzle and check her teeth!!! Texas was frightened and tried to pull away. I immediately yelled at the man to back off and to leave my dog alone. The man then took two steps back and just kept staring at Texas with his wife. They than began discussing what breed she was and how old. The wife kept saying, HE looks like a Belgian Malinoi and looks like she would be good for protection. They acted like I wasn't even there! I told them that they were rude and I did not appreciate it and corrected them by saying, "No, SHE is a black German shepherd." I promptly walked away.

In another instance, a SCARY one at that, I was leaving Petsmart with a friend and decided to walk Texas around the plaza to socialize her. So, we began walking and then I heard a man making noise, almost as if to get someone's attention. I then stopped and turned around to my side. There was an older man standing there with a chain in his hand and was walking towards me. The individual stopped walking towards me, only when he noticed my guy friend beside me and then tried to hide the chain. He then proceeded to ask me what breed Texas is, sex, and what a nice looking dog she is. He also then stated that he used to have a dog just like her, around the same age as well. I didn't know what to say, so I said, "Ok, nice talking to you, bye." Since that encounter, I refuse to walk alone around the plaza. What if he had other intentions??? What if he just made up a story just to cover the reason why he got close? Importantly, why was he carrying a chain in his hands??? After this event, I immediately took Texas to get microchipped. Its a scary world out there I tell you.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Wow Syaoransbear! I would have been more than a little irritated at that guy, mostly for saying negative things about my dog! Geez, he incited him to jump, then bad mouths him (and you) to other people within your earshot. I'm glad you were able to laugh about it, I think I would still be fuming about it. :)

And who takes it upon themselves to inspect a strange dog's teeth???? I mean, are they trying to get bit? So ridiculous...

Boy, the next time I go to a pet store, I will remember to be on my guard!

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I took Stosh to Petsmart for the $10.99 puppy bath [something they don't advertise, but it's $10.99 for pups under 6 mos] a couple of times. When he was 4 mos old I walked in, there were a bunch of people in line to check out and while I was walking past to get to the groomers, a woman in her 60's I'd guess, gets on the floor and grabs Stosh onto her lap! It happened so fast I didn't even realize he had been grabbed by her. All she wanted to do was hold him and pet him but geez, she could have asked. So there she was sitting on the floor with Stosh squirming to get away from her. Then she couldn't get up and had to have her son and someone in line help her up. I told he he wasn't a lap dog.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I learned the importance of a reliable "drop on recall" while at a local pet store with my rottie mix. We were near the end of an aisle (myself, the dog, and my then 15 year old son), I was about 2" from the corner and my son and Tori were further down (about 4 feet away). A rather large man wearing a leather hat and vest came around the corner of the aisle, leaned over me and reached over my head to try to pick something from the shelf above me. Tori figured the guy was a menace (looked like it from her perspective) so she came CHARGING toward the guy. He froze, I said DOWN!, Tori dropped (still growling), and the poor guy slowly lowered his arm and backed away. Fortunately, he also owns a big protective dog and actually apologized for crowding me. We chatted, Tori was released and came up to meet him properly. We had a good chat and we've seen him a few other times in the store; always get a wink and smile.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
While shopping in PetCo with Chance when he was four months old a woman came over to me and asked if he was a purebred. When I told her yes, she proceeding to berate me for buying a dog from a breeder and not going to a rescue organization. She said I should be ashamed for buying a purebred dog when there are dogs at shelters. I was shocked to say the least and told her she was entitled to her opinion and walked away. Wish I could have thought of something better to say, but did not want to get into a confrontation in the middle of a pet store. Did not tell her that two of my previous dogs came from shelters.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Later I heard the guy complaining to his coworkers about how it seems every time he greets a dog it jumps up on him.

NO, REALLY? :hammer:
Sounds like my stepmother! When I used to visit more often, she would tell me how I need to let my dogs run around for a while outside or something first because they have too much energy and act all crazy... Well thats because I walk in the house, and you go "TESSA! Its so GREAT to see YOU!" in that high pitched voice. I could stick her on a treadmill for a few hours, but if you're going to greet her like that it would be worthless.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
While shopping in PetCo with Chance when he was four months old a woman came over to me and asked if he was a purebred. When I told her yes, she proceeding to berate me for buying a dog from a breeder and not going to a rescue organization. She said I should be ashamed for buying a purebred dog when there are dogs at shelters. I was shocked to say the least and told her she was entitled to her opinion and walked away. Wish I could have thought of something better to say, but did not want to get into a confrontation in the middle of a pet store. Did not tell her that two of my previous dogs came from shelters.

i would have told her it was really none of her business and who is she to assume you hadnt adopted him from a rescue anyway! I'll adopt and i'll buy from a breeder. but thats my preference.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
I have never had any really weird or scary happen to me. Well I was walking to Petco and some guy started following, but Tanner turned his head around and the guy freaked and ran. Otherwise nothing inside the store.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
I had a little kid run up and jump on dodger to hug him while I was at the vets office once. I only had dodger for maybe two weeks, I had no idea how he was with kids, I was told he loved kids. I had him in a sit stay while I paid for his shots and while I'm paying I heard a little kid yell doggie!!! Before I could do anything this kid maybe four to five years old attached himself to dodgers back, arms around his neck. Scared the crap out of him and me. The mom got up and removed her child from my poor terrified dog. I yelled at the woman that she should watch her child more closely and that was a good way for her kid to get bit in the face. She never said sorry. The vet techs working the front desk saw the whole thing and told her to control her child and go outside. I found out that day that dodger was very well behaved around kids.

As for petstores I've never had anything weird happen.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Never had anything happen at PetsMart but had a close call at the vets office. Took Kain in at 7 months old for a routine weighing. The vet tech, whom Kain had never met, knelt down in front of him in a really high pitched squeeky voice, grabbed both sides of his face and attempted to kiss him on his nose! Kain did just what I would have done in that situation......he freaked. He barked and lunged at her, barely missing her face before running out of leash. Scared the crap of me. I would have thought of all people, the vet tech would have more sense than to do that to any strange dog, much less a GSD.:confused: For the record, Kain is very socialized and well behaved, may be that's why the tech felt comfortable in doing what she did, i dunno.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow, that would have made me really angry. I wonder if that woman goes around to parents with their children and gets mad at them if their children weren't adopted!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Never had anything happen at PetsMart but had a close call at the vets office. Took Kain in at 7 months old for a routine weighing. The vet tech, whom Kain had never met, knelt down in front of him in a really high pitched squeeky voice, grabbed both sides of his face and attempted to kiss him on his nose! Kain did just what I would have done in that situation......he freaked. He barked and lunged at her, barely missing her face before running out of leash. Scared the crap of me. I would have thought of all people, the vet tech would have more sense than to do that to any strange dog, much less a GSD.:confused: For the record, Kain is very socialized and well behaved, may be that's why the tech felt comfortable in doing what she did, i dunno.
I'm surprised a vet tech would do that too, but I'm sure he was so cute she couldn't help it. She did what I want to do everytime I see a GSD puppy :wub:

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
Wow! Some of the posters have really had some fine adventures in pet stores. I haven't experienced any of those kind but wwe have met a lot of people (mostly older ones) who like to meet Baron (usually very overly friendly to strangers unless he gets a bad vibe from them and then he can react by barking at them!) and almost allof them will mention that "they used to have a GSD and what great dogs they are". So I do have to agree with that. We have had a few people start petting him with out asking (surprising since he is a mostly black male 90+lb GSD and he has a very serious look about him and never is behind me but usually out front of me). He generally like people thank goodness!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Pet Store Experience

Petsmart, Petco, and Animal Appetites are my local dog friendly stores.

I appreciate the socialization opportunities and Tonka has sniffed every square inch of each store.

No bad experiences, but I do enjoy how much many people enjoy seeing a well behaved german shepherd. And many older folks fondly recall stories of their past GSD's.

About two years ago, my wife and I were at the beach with Tonks and we crossed paths with a family with two small boys. The youngest (3?) looked at Tonka and said "doggie". His big brother (6?) corrected him with "Thats not a dog, thats a woolf".

Well, Today I was at Petsmart and two boys made the same exact comments. Don't know why, but it cracks me up.

Just a sucker for cuties of any species.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Yes, it did upset me very much that someone would confront me like that for having a purebred dog and assuming I bought him from a breeder, even though this time I did. However, my philosophy is not to get into arguments with strangers, no matter how obnoxious and rude they may be. You just never know if they are looking for a confrontation to satisfy their own inadequacies or something worse. Just laugh and walk away if I can.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts